Silver Supporter
Jun 1, 2016
Buffalo, NY
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Solaxx (Saltron) Reliant / Purechlor R5
Hi everyone. We are in the process of bidding on homes and one home we are very interested in has a pool with some cracking of concrete around it (photos below).

I would love to get a pool inspector to look at it, but with the way the market is and how fast homes are selling, it’s just not feasible. So i’m hoping you all wouldn’t mind giving me some advice.

Summary; Are these cracks concerning?

4934C0C3-66E3-4E19-BC84-51B3A56F6F2C.jpeg

DF5C594E-2350-4782-9275-FA1429DE12FD.jpeg

If the pool hasn't changed level, lots of reasons flatwork slab can fail from construction methods to natural causes. If it were this part of the country and the flatwork had any age to it, a home inspector would call it normal and cosmetic and not structural, since it's a given such will eventually fail like that due to subsidence and ground heaving. One reason many here elect paver method over slabs for decking.

Reactions: microscopes
If the pool hasn't changed level, lots of reasons flatwork slab can fail from construction methods to natural causes. If it were this part of the country and the flatwork had any age to it, a home inspector would call it normal and cosmetic and not structural, since it's a given such will eventually fail like that due to subsidence and ground heaving. One reason many here elect paver method over slabs for decking.

Thanks.

This is near St Petersburgh Florida:

That’s just a poorly done concrete job. As @AQUA~HOLICS stated, they poured the concrete around the pool corner without doing proper expansion joints and control joints. Control joints are just that - cuts in the concrete purposely made to control flexing and cracking. It cracked in those areas to relieve the stresses caused by thermal cycling. If proper control joints were in place, the cracks would have followed the control joints and you would never see them.

It’s not a big deal but it’s ugly. A deck remodel will fix it.

That’s just a poorly done concrete job. As @AQUA~HOLICS stated, they poured the concrete around the pool corner without doing proper expansion joints and control joints. Control joints are just that - cuts in the concrete purposely made to control flexing and cracking. It cracked in those areas to relieve the stresses caused by thermal cycling. If proper control joints were in place, the cracks would have followed the control joints and you would never see them.

It’s not a big deal but it’s ugly. A deck remodel will fix it.

Thank you!

Perhaps ask them to include some funds to repair it down the road? Keeping in mind everything costs twice what you think it will.

Perhaps ask them to include some funds to repair it down the road? Keeping in mind everything costs twice what you think it will.

They would laugh at me 😀

The housing market is nuts. This house has 20+ offers and some offers are $70k over asking price. People are waiving inspections, appraisals, etc. It’s nuts.

• Wow
Reactions: JoyfulNoise

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They would laugh at me 😀

The housing market is nuts. This house has 20+ offers and some offers are $70k over asking price. People are waiving inspections, appraisals, etc. It’s nuts.

It’s crazy here too in AZ. Homes here aren’t even making it to listings … real estate agents are just horse trading buyers and sellers at their weekly meetings and cutting deals with inspection/appraisal/etc getting waived. The Title agencies are barely keeping up taking weeks to get anything buttoned up and signed. People are popping Tums and Pepcid like their M&Ms with all the anxiety-induced dyspepsia…

Houses are flying off the market here too and going for way more than what they're worth.

If you do get the house, look into redoing the pool. It is ugly and definitely needs a facelift. Just wait til things settle down first.

This market is outrageous right now. A guy I work with looked at 3 homes and before the day was up, they were all under contract.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.