Concrete Block Plan - Please Critique!

mentaimotse

Bronze Supporter
Apr 24, 2021
Summerville, SC
I know this is a perennial topic on the website. I'm considering building a small CMU-based semi-inground pool, for several reasons:
  1. Gunite/shotcrete (along with virtually all other poolbuilding-related trades or subcontractors), in my area, seems to be extremely locked down by professional poolbuilders. Pools here cost substantially more than in many other parts of the country. I'm sure much of that is due to the expertise; I do think part of that is also due to the intense demand for pools in South Carolina.
  2. I have some experience with concrete and believe the floor pour (and definitely the wall block placement) is a more DIY-friendly approach than other options such as forms for poured walls. I am also very comfortable with plumbing and electrical.
  3. My budget is limited, and going with this option seems like I should be able to get a solid pool for less than a good fiberglass shell or gunite pool. I know there are advantages both of those other methods offer, and if I had the funds, I would go with one of them!
My main questions are:
  1. Can anyone speak from firsthand experience about the sanity of my proposed method given what I've explained above?
  2. Can anyone sharpshoot my general proposed design for the floor and wall structure?
CMUwalldetail-01.png

Here's an overview of my plan for this approx. 6500 gallon, shortened kidney pool:
  1. Floor slab and wall footer poured with vertical wall cavity rebar embedded
  2. Dry-stacked CMUs, surface bonded, then cores filled
  3. Waterproofing applied to full inside surface
My soil type is Noboco loamy sand.

What is going to be your plumbing system?

How will you be doing pipe penetrations and waterproofing around them?

Reactions: mentaimotse

I'm planning 1 skimmer positioned for prevailing wind direction and multiple returns (I will work on a diagram).

For penetrations, so far, I'm planning on cut-out sections of CMU with expanding cement fill. As far as waterproofing of penetrations on the exterior and interior sides on top of that, I'm still trying to come up with a plan...

Last edited:
What do you think the cost will be on materials? Lots of labor involved filling block amd face work. I always see a steel wall pool as cheapest amd DIY friendly, on a small pool you looking at 8000ish w a liner in material cost, and much less labor. The rest is the same regardless of pool

Reactions: mentaimotse
What do you think the cost will be on materials? Lots of labor involved filling block amd face work. I always see a steel wall pool as cheapest amd DIY friendly, on a small pool you looking at 8000ish w a liner in material cost, and much less labor. The rest is the same regardless of pool
Sorry for the delayed response - it's looking like around $3000 for slab/footing, block, and finishing.

For a little more detail - I'm planning a single skimmer and 3 looped returns, plus two 2" pipe penetrations for nicheless lights. All penetrations happening in cored portions of CMU wall with pipes wrapped in waterstop (silka or similar). For the base to slab cold joint, planning a waterstop.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.