Concerns about pump size

Berrymerica

Jul 1, 2023
Rochester NY
Hello,
I read through the thread by MAS985 and it was super informative but my concern is about a pool I have about to go in. Pool is being installed in my back yard but the pump filter and heater are set to be installed next to the house. The pool 18x36 ~23,000 gallons will have 2 skimmers and 3 returns per the quote and will be ran off a 1hp Hayward. My concern comes in that the pool is going to sit about 10' below where the pump is and the pipe run will be at least 70 feet, is a 1HP going to be enough? I understand that the head loss will equal the head gain but will this pump be big enough to prime and will it turn the pool enough?

I'm new to this so don't crush me if my wording is off.

Hello,
I read through the thread by MAS985 and it was super informative but my concern is about a pool I have about to go in. Pool is being installed in my back yard but the pump filter and heater are set to be installed next to the house. The pool 18x36 ~23,000 gallons will have 2 skimmers and 3 returns per the quote and will be ran off a 1hp Hayward. My concern comes in that the pool is going to sit about 10' below where the pump is and the pipe run will be at least 70 feet, is a 1HP going to be enough? I understand that the head loss will equal the head gain but will this pump be big enough to prime and will it turn the pool enough?

I'm new to this so don't crush me if my wording is off.
Which one-horsepower Hayward? Single-speed pumps are no longer legal in the whole country.

Since it's a new build, I assume it will be a variable speed pump. It's recommended to have an oversized VSP, so that you can run it at very low speeds to save energy. A 1 HP pump may have a too small impeller to create a good skimming action in your pool at low RPM.

You can check in the pump manual how high above the water level it can be installed.

You should get an Intelliflo pump and use big suction lines.

The minimum suction line should be 2.5", but you need to know the actual flow for each line to size it correctly.

Regardless, get an oversized (2.5-3.0HP) variable speed pump. run it at a low speed, it will be quiet, economical and powerful enough for any exigency. Sadly, they have doubled in price of late (thank you COVID) but well worth the investment.

There are DOE compliant single speed pumps.

California has additional requirements that need to be followed.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Pumps and replacement motors that are single speed and one (1) TOTAL HP or greater cannot be sold, offered for sale, or installed in a residential pool for filtration use in California, Title 20 CCR sections 1601-1609.

NOTE: Replacement dedicated-purpose pool pump motors that are single-phase and 0.5 Total HP or greater but not variable speed cannot be offered for final retail sale in California per Title 20 CCR Section 1601-1609.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.