Summit Hill, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-3)
Just got my first pool and I am concerned that the T-3 cell I have is too small. My PB picked the cell size and I’m afraid it won’t produce enough chlorine to maintain my TFP desired/recommended level. Am
I just overthinking this because I’m new to this or do I have a legit concern? I really don’t want to go and waste the money to get a T-9 cell if I really don’t have to

I would agree that the T-3 is too small. A 24ft round is about 14K with 4 ft of water. You want a cell that is rated at least twice the capacity of your pool. This is from the wiki

T-3 = 210 pounds - 15,000 gallons
T-5 = ??? pounds - 20,000 gallons
T-9 = 385 pounds - 25,000 gallons
T-15= 580 pounds - 40,000 gallons

So your PB picked one that exactly matches the volume of your pool. But that assumes you are running at 100% for 24/7 hours and allows no leeway for adjusting the cell's output for different conditions.. Its no wonder you are not keeping up. If you are going to spend to the money to bump up I would go with the T15.

Reactions: ksteber
K,

I estimate your pool is about 13,500 gallons.. A T-3 cell in that size pool will generate 5.3 ppm of Chlorine when run 24/7 at 100% output. That is .22 ppm per hour..

Most pools use between 2 to 4 ppm per day, so let's say yours uses 3 ppm per day. That means you would need to run the cell at 100% for about 13 hours a day.

This is why we suggest a cell that is rated for at least 2 x the volume of your pool..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: ksteber
Use what you have and run your pump as long as necessary to generate the needed chlorine with the cell at 100%.

When you deplete the cell then upgrade to a T-9 or T-15 cell.

You will use your pump runtime to adjust your SWG output.

Send the electrical bills for your pump runtime to your PB. With your VS pump at a low rpm the electrical cost should not be too high.

Use what you have and run your pump as long as necessary to generate the needed chlorine with the cell at 100%.

When you deplete the cell then upgrade to a T-9 or T-15 cell.

You will use your pump runtime to adjust your SWG output.

Send the electrical bills for your pump runtime to your PB. With your VS pump at a low rpm the electrical cost should not be too high.

I currently run my pump 24/7 but I have my cell percentage at 25%. I’ll jack it up and let er rip.

Call the pb and talk to him, maybe he’ll credit you the old one and you can upgrade. I have the same size pool and I think mine is rated for 25k and it runs 8 hours at 50% at this time of year. Zero shade on the pool.

I did talk to the PB and that’s unfortunately not an option. I’m hoping since I run the pump anyway 24/7 that I can maintain the FC level. If not then I’ll bite the bullet and get a T15 replacement cell.
Side note: I found out that the PB went with the T3 cell so I would qualify for the Hayward $500 rebate. In the end I would have rather had the T15 cell. 🙄🙄

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ok.. it looks like you may have some wiggle room in your setup if you can bump your % up to accommodate the necessary chlorine demand. Then If you can make the T-3 work, then when that burns out, replace it with a T-15.

That is what I think I will do.
Thanks everyone for the help!!

You could have bought the AQR940 SWG which has an extended life T-15 cell and maintained the $500 rebate. Your dealer might not of had one in stock I guess.

The $500 rebate doesn't make too much sense, but they are only offering it with a T-3 cell, and extended life T-3 cell or the extended life T-15 cell.

You could have bought the AQR940 SWG which has an extended life T-15 cell and maintained the $500 rebate. Your dealer might not of had one in stock I guess.

The $500 rebate doesn't make too much sense, but they are only offering it with a T-3 cell, and extended life T-3 cell or the extended life T-15 cell.
At this point it is what it is. I’ll just have to deal with it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.