Compool valves not working properly

pinch52

Nov 21, 2014
Houston, TX
Hi all,
Recently I’ve noticed that when the automation center(pentair easytouch 8) calls for the valves(compool cv 24) to go from pool mode to spa mode, only one of the two valves moves to the proper position.
I checked the switch on the outside of the valve case, it’s in the normal switch position. When I flip that switch, the valve will actuate, but only in certain automation modes.
Also, I opened the valve case to check the internal microswitches. Both appear to be functional.
So if the valves are good, how does one verify the settings on the easy touch control panel?. The instruction manual is not very good.

Thanks all!!

[EDIT] I should have prefaced this with "run this test to be sure your valves are good"

what i usually do to test a valve is connect it to Valve A (or B - but I'll use A for this example), and then:
  1. assign valve A to an Aux circuit
  2. hit the Aux button and make sure the valve rotates
  3. shut off the Aux circuit and the valve should return
  4. hit the Aux button again to re-enable the valve (the valve will rotate)
  5. flip the toggle on the valve to make sure it rotates to the other extent, and then reset the toggle
If it fails any of those test then the microswitches are probably not working correctly

I have also seen an issue with the "punch-down" JST connector on the valve cable... where the red/white/black wires connect... on the "test" valve I have on the bench, I sometimes have to jiggle the wire at the connector for it to have good contact.

Well, to close the loop on this thread. It appears that there is a cut in the white wire. Not sure how that could’ve happened, but regardless, that’s something I’ll check from now on, before buying a new actuator. Thanks again to ogdento for the help. BTW, the valve actuator thread listed above is fantastic for troubleshooting.

Attachments

• 5CC1F0E3-BCA6-4A64-8A40-193A4EE08C06.jpeg
    5CC1F0E3-BCA6-4A64-8A40-193A4EE08C06.jpeg
    236.1 KB · Views: 6