Complete overhaul of 1970 pool

Macmann

Feb 2, 2022
Houston
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We recently moved into an older home that had a pool installed at sometime. We believe it’s probably 1970’s. The equipment was all outdated with no safety systems in place. Earlier this year I added a pentair intellicenter controller to replace the dated time clocks. I also replaced the filter with a cartridge filter, new pentair variable speed pump. Last month I started digging a new trench to lay plumbing for the future spa and led lights. The older pool light was 120v and full of water. Also, the conduit was metal and corroded. All of the original flagstone and concrete around pool was cracked and beyond repair. The shell of the pool was overall in good shape except a previous poorly repaired crack. The pool had two layers of plaster. Apparently no one ever removed the old layer. Below are some pictures of the new spa added, plaster removed, pool depth reduced to 7 feet, new conduit added for lights, and a ton of other landscaping. We also bonded the pool with all equipment and added necessary breakers to bring up to code. The pool also did not have an overflow and auto fill which were added. We used the torque lock stitch method to repair the crack. More pictures to follow. Let me know if anyone suggests anything else I should consider. 683282CE-52CA-409E-9988-8933C0B572F0.jpeg

Interesting project.

What is the situation with the placement of the skimmers and returns? Does that need to be improved?

What model LED lights will you use?

Skimmers were brittle. We decided to replace to prevent any future issues.

Led will be pentair 5g led. I did a fiber floor in my previous home.

If you have the ability to change it now, I would not use any of the current LED light assemblies. Install another good ol' Amerlite niche and just throw an LED lamp in there.

Reactions: borjis and Bill1974
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.