Coming chlorine shortage? - It is Here!

Does that HD show online it has LC in stock?

I get they’re trying to avoid a mad rush to the chlorine aisle….but its always been hit or miss for me finding chlorine in stock at HD in the pre corona times. Spending a Saturday driving around visiting Home Depot’s until I hit the chlorine jackpot is so not gonna work

The HD website said the same thing here, so I called last Saturday. They said they hadn't gotten it in yet, but would sometime this week. Since it's seasonal for us, some stores haven't gotten their first delivery yet. I normally buy it at the grocery store, but they don't stock it until end of May or beginning of June. I just bought some at Menards as they already had it on the shelf and everyone keeps talking about shortage, so I thought I would buy early.

Just getting around to preparing to open my pool and saw there is a liquid chlorine shortage. How is everyone handling this? I've only used liquid chlorine for the past 3 years and I'd rather not switch to pucks or granular chlorine now...but may have to if I can't find affordable liquid chlorine.

Do you have any of the following stores?
Menards, Ocean State Job Lots, Lowes, Home Depot, Ace Hardware, a janitorial supply.

Just getting around to preparing to open my pool and saw there is a liquid chlorine shortage. How is everyone handling this? I've only used liquid chlorine for the past 3 years and I'd rather not switch to pucks or granular chlorine now...but may have to if I can't find affordable liquid chlorine.
The shortage is supposedly with pucks, not liquid. There was a factory fire in LA that the news has been pumping to scare everyone into thinking a single factory supplies all the chlorine in the US.

that said, some people have believed it and are evidently buying liquid chlorine more than normal so some places are out of it in some places. I’d suggest just going to Home Depot, Lowe’s, etc, and seeing for yourself. Some places have plenty, other don’t.

Something odd is going on with the Lowes and Home Depot websites. They aren't listing the availability status of LC. So apparently you have to go in person and check. I presume this is to prevent hoarders and flippers from scanning all the locations quickly.
May not be odd at all. I have seen several examples of people selling tabs at extravagent prices, so there could be folks out there thinking of buying up all the LC they can and selling it at a premium. Think about concert tickets...remember when you had to go to your local records and tapes store to buy them AT FACE VALUE? Good luck finding ANY tickets for anything remotely popular at face value these days.

Reactions: KJB1
How much did they have? I'm about 1/2 hr away. Don't wanna go there if they ran out.

I was there (ocean state job lot montgomeryville) yesterday and they had two full palettes of 12% on the floor. Lady on the phone told me no limit on LC. The cashier told me limit of two cases (they have signs up too) but let me buy more when I told him the phone lady told me no limit.

Reactions: Steve Norman

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How much did they have? I'm about 1/2 hr away. Don't wanna go there
Check to see if there is an Ollie's around you too.

I was there (ocean state job lot montgomeryville) yesterday and they had two full palettes of 12% on the floor. Lady on the phone told me no limit on LC. The cashier told me limit of two cases (they have signs up too) but let me buy more when I told him the phone lady told me no limit.
I'll have to check it out. The Walmart in Harleysville just got some in, but the manager only let me buy 2 gallons. That will last me a few hours...

May not be odd at all. I have seen several examples of people selling tabs at extravagent prices, so there could be folks out there thinking of buying up all the LC they can and selling it at a premium. Think about concert tickets...remember when you had to go to your local records and tapes store to buy them AT FACE VALUE? Good luck finding ANY tickets for anything remotely popular at face value these days.
I will show my age, I remember seeing Rush in the late 70's early 80's and Tickets were $7.99, $8.99 and $9.99 was front rows!! Now the fee's are $25 a ticket

Anyone located in New England, northern New Jersey, and eastern New York and eastern Pennsylvania should check to see if there is an Ocean State Job Lot within a reasonable distance from them. Use this link to check for OSJL locations near you and their current stock availability.
Is there an OSJL near me?

Last edited:
Holy cow.. have you guys seen the prices that Amazon is charging for pucks right now? This is ridiculous - what's worse is that some people are actually paying this.
40lbs - $339
8lbs - $219
8lbs - $239
1.5lbs - $32
6oz - $11

This is just a skim of the first page with "recommended" sorting. Obviously there are some better deals (not much better) on there. But geesh!

At this rate it will be cheaper to fill my pool with cocaine by the end of the summer!:ROFLMAO::crazy:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.