Coming chlorine shortage? - It is Here!

Hey, I'm really sorry to hear about the shortage you're experiencing over there. Hopefully lots of locals chip in with some ideas. Yep, household bleach is fine as long as it has an actual percentage of sodium hypochlorite listed on the label, and it's not "splashless" or scented.

Trichlor and dichlor can be used, but the solid forms of chlorine also have CYA, so be careful not to add too much CYA. For every 10 ppm of FC, you'll be adding around 7-8 ppm of CYA, so you can only do that for a while, depending what level of CYA you're starting from.

Best long term solution is to buy a salt water chlorine generator (SWCG), install it on your system, and make your own chlorine at home. Check your existing salt level which is often already around half what you need. The SWCG uses a small amount of electricity and converts salt in the water to free chlorine. The SWCG has a relatively high upfront cost, but it's roughly equal to, or less, than the cost of buying chlorinating liquid in the long run.

I have this question as well. Mostly the response seems to be "use something else". But there have been so many spot shortages in my area, I sort of need a direct answer to this question.
It’s usually called “chlorinating liquid” rather than bleach. Stores here seem to have plenty.

In Southern California there is plenty of liquid pool chlorine. I got 5 cases at Walmart in case the price goes up. I saw some pucks at Walmart and Leslies was stocked full. Almost all their floor space was pucks. They are waiting for the panic buy to cash in I guess.

It’s usually called “chlorinating liquid” rather than bleach. Stores here seem to have plenty.
Out of stock.

I think the 1.2.3 numbers on the Great Value Bleach are the secret but am not sure. Perhaps the trouble started with 3? It is now listed as "fabric protection bleach" on the website. The bottle isn't clear but if you follow the ** footnote has a comment about outperforming sodium hypochlorite only bleaches. So I guess that is case closed.

Out of stock.

I think the 1.2.3 numbers on the Great Value Bleach are the secret but am not sure. Perhaps the trouble started with 3? It is now listed as "fabric protection bleach" on the website. The bottle isn't clear but if you follow the ** footnote has a comment about outperforming sodium hypochlorite only bleaches. So I guess that is case closed.

Does the pool store not have any?

Out of stock.

Here’s the link on ingredients, not sure about the details of the extras though.
1ABC1206-C78D-4070-AEA2-CCE6628832D0.png

Does the pool store not have any?
I'm stocked up on the 10% for now. It's irrelevant to the question however as I like to top off with 8% or 6% when I'm at Walmart or the grocery store to stretch my supply. Otherwise I run completely out from time to time. So I really like having options. It seems like Cloromax has infiltrated the entire laundry bleach market and has diverged it from the pool market. That's a bummer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here’s the link on ingredients, not sure about the details of the extras though.
View attachment 333483
So, question for the chemists:
What effect will metaperiodate and silicate have on water chemistry?

I know calcium silicate contributes to scaling.
I know in chemistry lab, you can make pretty precipitates by mixing metal solutions with periodates, but I think the concentrations of metals have to be pretty high.

I have been in the slam process for 5 weeks and buying chlorine from home depot and Walmart in large quantity. Today I went by Walmart and grabbed my allotment for the week and was told at checkout that I was only allowed 2 pool products per day due to the shortage.... I was baffled. When I went to put my bottles back on the shelf I asked one of the stocking clerks what the deal was... apparently corporate sent out a statement on Friday.

I happily went to HD and got my allotment.

• Haha
Reactions: Snoobug and KJB1
I have been in the slam process for 5 weeks and buying chlorine from home depot and Walmart in large quantity. Today I went by Walmart and grabbed my allotment for the week and was told at checkout that I was only allowed 2 pool products per day due to the shortage.... I was baffled. When I went to put my bottles back on the shelf I asked one of the stocking clerks what the deal was... apparently corporate sent out a statement on Friday.

I happily went to HD and got my allotment.
5 weeks? Hopefully you’re about done?

Reactions: KJB1 and jeffhalljr
Hello all, I have to admit I do not stay up to date on local and national news and it was a shock to learn that Chlorine tablet cost have soared. I understand alternatives would be to go to salt, but my pools is well over 15 years old and I was considering tearing it down the last couple of years, but each year I fill it back up, buy chemical and start the process over again. I know I'm rambling, but curious about what everyone is doing concerning chlorine cost? Switching over to liquid, and if so how much of a hassle is that process?
Thanks everyone.
Pwmattin

FWIW I bought 3 cases(4 x1 gallon jugs) of 12.5% at a local supermarket. Came out to about 3.50 per gallon jug, I think it was closer to 3.00 last year. They had a decent supply, no limits on purchasing so far. I have a swg, but I usually buy about this much at the start of the season since it's a bit of a trip to the nearest shop, so I prefer to have some on hand. I was pretty happy I was able to get some in case hoarding becomes an issue this summer, but I resisted the temptation to buy more than I thought we'd use. I have a few jugs of the home depot 10% stuff left over from opening the pool. They delivered 9 gallon jugs to my house back in march for only 9 dollars, but now there's no delivery on that product. It's hard to believe the stores could run out of regular bleach but who knows. I have to haul the containers to the dump for recycling myself so I do really prefer the 12.5% stuff to regular bleach.

Last edited:
What is everyone using now that we have a chlorine shortage? Can't find liquid pool chlorine anywhere in Philly suburbs and can only buy 2 bottles of bleach at a time.
There is an Ocean State Job Lot shown to be about 30 minutes away from your listed location. They have been reported to have a stock of 12.5% liquid chlorine. You might call ahead.

My local Leslie's was out of LC. Manager told me it was not due a chlorine shortage, but that plastic gallon jugs were in short supply and wooden palettes had soared in price.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.