Coming chlorine shortage? - It is Here!

It's a good point but does anyone really know where to find sources of plain bleach anymore? Seems like all the manufacturers have moved to fabric protection bleach. Target, Walmart, my local retailers don't carry just plain old beach anymore.

Today, I bought 12.5% at $5.89 / gallon. Lot more than last year - local pool store said prices are way up from last season.

Last edited:
Price of many things are up over last year. Get used to it. Inflation is back.

Price out 2x4's or treated wood to build a deck.
Oh, no doubt about it. We have looked at a few of the houses being built near us and the prices are ridiculous and the build quality is pretty bad.

I've noticed a few things here over time. One is that for some reason, liquid chlorine seems to be a LOT cheaper in the north and even the northeast, than in the south--at least metro Houston where I live. Two things have affected price and availability everywhere, though. People all over here (Houston area) have gone pool crazy. My little neighborhood of 50 homes has five pools under construction right now, and before the pandemic there were only five, so the number of pools here has doubled since the pandemic.

I bought liquid 12.5% at Leslies for $16 for four gallons last year--pre pandemic. By April it was $17. By September $20. At that point 10% at Walmart for 3.74 per gallon became a better deal, and that's still where it was on Monday this week in Katy, TX Walmart. As to the increasing prices, Walmart hasn't changed. Leslie's got greedy and they lost a customer. They weren't getting rich selling me chlorine and muriatic acid anyway, but now they don't even have me visiting their store, where I could buy something else, too.

It would not surprise me to see all pool-related stuff increase in price. My neighbor who signed a contract in December still doesn't have a finished pool. In fact, none of the five new pools here are finished. When our water feature pump cracked in the Texas freeze, it looked like we might be June before that could be replaced. We did find one, though. Increased demand is bound to affect all things connected with pools, although I suspect most new pool owners will be buying pucks, as that is the routine it seems in this area.

Another thing that's going to affect chlorine is just general inflation. Been to the supermarket lately? Price of avocados up from 59 cents to 69 cents? Price of milk? Eggs? Cereal? While not a scientific comparison, my grocery tabs are easily 10% more than a year ago. The U.S. money supply has in the last 10 months had 6 trillion dollars added to it with nothing--no goods or services provided in return. Less than that caused ten years of inflation from 1970 to 1980. I can think of no reason that won't happen again. If you can find an installer with inventory, this could be the time to get a SWCG installed, as it might be 20% more this time next year. I've shopped them a couple times. Once, the price was too high. Two others recommended against installing one (yes, they turned down business!!!) Maybe I'll call again.
I told my husband that we better buy the things we want now & hold on to them because they will cost double before long w/ inflation. Things like vehicles, equipment etc. but we will still have the same income. The groceries increased soon after the pandemic began. I haven’t noticed it decreasing like i hoped, really just that supply has gotten better. My parents used to joke that when we got old we would need a shopping cart full of $$ to go to the grocery store. They apparently weren’t wrong. 😩 All the increases have me really hoping that swg cell prices don’t double before i can upgrade. Fingers crossed 🤞

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
Last year was horrible, constantly searching multiple big box/grocery/farm stores and finding no bleach that didn't have additives (even our pool stores were low and they are so expensive). I decided I never want to play Where's Waldo with bleach again. It made being a pool owner stressful, and that isn't what a pool is for!

I ordered a large delivery to store in the garage, in their boxes, covered in a tarp to block the light. Took the risk on the age, and it is 4 months, could be worse! I paid $5/gallon for 10% because of the delivery charge, and it is degradating over time. You can have any opinion you want about my decision, but I don't care. It is still cheaper than the conventional pool method and the cost of BBB will be even lower relative to tabs this year. I have a feeling that after the tabs run out pool stores will direct pool owners to liquid and the price of liquid will go through the roof and supply will disappear. New pools are being built everywhere....

I'm at peace knowing I don't have to drive 30 mins to find out no one has bleach. I printed out the chlorine degradation chart and Pool Math will do the work for me.

Opening in 3 days, woo hoo!!!!

Just got back from Rural King. Four full pallets of 10% sitting up front as soon as you walk in, on sale at $10 per case.

I don't know why but it seems like my area never has any real problem keeping liquid chlorine in stock. Only time I ever saw an issue was last year when Menards limited you to 3 gallons of 12%, but that was pretty temporary right at the beginning of the disinfectant run.

Reactions: Leebo
The shortage is primarily in the solid forms of chlorine.

Keep your liquid out of the sun, in a cool place. I wouldn't freeze it. Just put it in the garage or basement or something.

No basement and the garage would be the hottest spot in my house.

Home Depot was out of bleach this past weekend. Walmart had a large stack of one gallon of 10% for $3.74.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
There’s a merged thread on this here👇

Ya read that. It sounds like it's actually dry chlorine products only. A plant in Louisiana had a fire and shut down last August?

Shouldn't affect bleach products...just tabs & powdered shock as far as I can tell.

Again, I know it is not ideal, but compare the cost of using $3/lb cal-hypo to $4/gallon 10% LC.

At least the cal-hypo does not degrade like LC, or at least not as fast. I ordered 24 lbs of cal-hypo on Friday for $65 delivered. That is $2.70/lb. This is backup for my SWG. 68% shock packets were cheaper than a 25 lb bucket!

I know it adds calcium. But that is far better than running out or having seriously degraded LC.

Reactions: MA5177
I have heard that the destruction by fire of a major chlorine factory in Lousiana is going to cause a catastrophic chlorine shortage this season. Does anyone know anything about this? Perhaps this might be the year to invest in an SWG.
Site guys, if this gets to be a big deal perhaps we could form an action committee to approach some vendors about arranging some kind of discount for TFP members? ;)

I just bought 12 bottles at Menards. The cashier looked at me like I was crazy. “Wow, that’s a LOT of shock. Stocking up for the whole summer? My buddy added a lot of shock once and ...” (I started tuning him out here.)

I’m thinking, “dude, I’m not in the mood to get Pool Stored from the Home Improvement store — so I’m going to go ahead and nod and not tell you that I chlorinate exclusively with this and it will probably only get me through June.”

Sigh.

Edit: and as far as any shortage is concerned, the website says my nearest Menards has 1,204 bottles in stock currently. No shortage in the Midwest at least.
What type of liquid chlorine are you finding at Menards? I’m in Kansas and am noticing a definite shortage. May have happened cause of the media blowing stuff out of proportion though.

Again, I know it is not ideal, but compare the cost of using $3/lb cal-hypo to $4/gallon 10% LC.

At least the cal-hypo does not degrade like LC, or at least not as fast. I ordered 24 lbs of cal-hypo on Friday for $65 delivered. That is $2.70/lb. This is backup for my SWG. 68% shock packets were cheaper than a 25 lb bucket!

I know it adds calcium. But that is far better than running out or having seriously degraded LC.
When adjusted for actual chlorine content, cal-hypo is 5x the cost of 10% LC in my area. A gallon of 10% provides more FC than a pound of 73% cal hypo.

I still think one factory fire in Louisiana has no chance of causing a chlorine shortage. It’s media hype to sell advertising and generate money from news clicks.

But a good way to cause a shortage would be for everyone in the US to buy a bunch of chlorine they don’t need.

but I’ve now got a bunch of people willing to pay top dollar for my old pucks on craigslist so there’s an upside. :LOL:

My calcium is low like 300 and it’s throwing off my CSI but still in range.

I was going to buy calcium chloride, but should I just but cal hypo instead of liquid until it gets in range? I would love to just use tabe or a combo of all 3 for ease of use. I want to go SWG but I think we are going to sell the house and don’t want to spend it for no reason

Reactions: YippeeSkippy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.