Coming chlorine shortage? - It is Here!

Plain bleach prices have gone up as well compared to last year. It looks like prices are on the way up for most commodities and we just have to learn to live with it.
Is there a more recent cost comparison for SWG vs liquid chlorine than this one from 2014?

Right now I’m paying the exact same price as last year for 12.5% from Menards. Just double checked my pool logs after buying 8 gallons for opening later this week (I’m so excited!).

Reactions: jseyfert3
I read in the news this morning that thanks to a fire at some lab somewhere that there is a pool chlorine shortage. I have a SWG and I shock with liquid Chlorine. I saw a chart that the half life of liquid Chlorine is largely dependent on the temperature it is kept at. So, how long will liquid Chlorine last if I put it in my freezer?

• Haha
Reactions: YippeeSkippy
I buy 330 gallon tanks of it at work. Even at the height of the bleach hoarding last year, no issues. Sodium hypochlorite is used in very large quantities for industrial, food production, and water treatment uses.

Pretty sure the article is really talking about trichlor tabs. That I could see becoming in short supply.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Now that I'm producing hydrogen as a byproduct of my SWG I'm looking for a market to sell and recapture my costs. Next how to design a method to capture and safely store my energy resource. :wink:

Well, added benefit to having a SWCG? I think so...

The chlorine shortage is widespread and it will likely worsen — driving chlorine prices even higher — as homeowners start to prep swimming pools for the season. CNBC spoke to pool industry insiders in multiple states — including Florida, Michigan, Nevada and Texas — about the tight supplies, which are expected to blindside pool owners, who are largely unaware of the problem.

Last edited:
Im sure prices have/will go up, but I’m also sure a small part of this is the mainstream news looking for clicks. I’ve been to three larger stores today and each of them had liquid for roughly the same price as before. In the end I wound up purchased a 4 pack of liquid chlorine for the exact same price as I did 3 years ago. $9.99 for 4 gallons of 10% on sale or $12 everyday. Clearly some of the granular chlorine has increased slightly, but my gut says most here on TFP will be just fine.

Im sure prices have/will go up, but I’m also sure a small part of this is the mainstream news looking for clicks. I’ve been to three larger stores today and each of them had liquid for roughly the same price as before. In the end I wound up purchased a 4 pack of liquid chlorine for the exact same price as I did 3 years ago. $9.99 for 4 gallons of 10% on sale or $12 everyday. Clearly some of the granular chlorine has increased slightly, but my gut says most here on TFP will be just fine.
Isn't almost ALL the "news" these days all click bait? :)

Our local Atwood's still has plenty but a couple of other stores nearby show ZERO on stock which is a little out of the ordinary for them. I would guess that all these articles will help push a buying frenzy, which then might cause a shortage.

Also, price is up to $2.49 a gallon whereas it was $1.99 when I bought this time last year.

😱 OMG did you read this at the bottom of the article?
  • Contact your local pool professional to discuss chlorine alternatives. From saltwater and UV systems to mineral packs, there are alternatives. “There are several different [mineral pack] names out there. And they’ve got a blend of minerals that you put in your water in the beginning of the swim season. And they last all summer. They’re very reasonably priced, less than $100 typically. They eliminate algae and they cut down on the need for chlorine,” said Curtis.

Looks like TFP will have their hands full this summer! 😱

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.