Combined chlorine

High CC is an call for corrective action. Some of the things that will lower CC are removing the spa cover to expose the water to the air and sunlight, clean and or replace the filter, a partial drain and refill and regularly draining, purging and refilling your tub with fresh water. How much use does your tub get and how often do you replace the water?

Jerry,

I use the CC level to remind me to change the water... It is normally .5 or less, but when I find i can't keep it below 1.5, the water is replaced. I have a saltwater spa and normally do not have to do anything but add tiny bit of acid to keep the pH in line. As the water gets older I have to start adding a little liquid chlorine. My spa is only 200 gallons, but it takes about three to four months for the water to go South..

When was the last time you replaced the water?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Spas tend to get a buildup of various weak oxidants that register as combined chlorine, especially when you have an ozonator.

I'm not sure what all of the products are. Maybe chlorates, bromates etc.

In any case, if the CCs become persistent and won't go away, it's time for a water change.

Use a cleaner like Ahhsome if you think that it's necessary.

Reactions: jfkolar
on Tuesday I had to add some water. Before I did I washed off the ring with some Natural Chemistry Clean and Perfect. After adding the water I added a little gentle spa, and some dry acid to lower my TA and turned on the jets to bring my PH back to 7.6. Had some bubbles so I used 2 Tbls. Of no chlorine shock. That explains the difference, thanks

Jerry,

I use the CC level to remind me to change the water... It is normally .5 or less, but when I find i can't keep it below 1.5, the water is replaced. I have a saltwater spa and normally do not have to do anything but add tiny bit of acid to keep the pH in line. As the water gets older I have to start adding a little liquid chlorine. My spa is only 200 gallons, but it takes about three to four months for the water to go South..

When was the last time you replaced the water?

Thanks,

Jim R.
Water was changed 3 weeks ago

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
on Tuesday I had to add some water. Before I did I washed off the ring with some Natural Chemistry Clean and Perfect. After adding the water I added a little gentle spa, and some dry acid to lower my TA and turned on the jets to bring my PH back to 7.6. Had some bubbles so I used 2 Tbls. Of no chlorine shock. That explains the difference, thanks
The no chlorine shock is likely reading as CC's in your test. Wait a day or two and test again and see what you get.

Reactions: jfkolar
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.