Gold Supporter
May 22, 2018
Elmhurst, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We recently had an inspection of our pool by the Health Dept. and inspector noted that we were not testing for combined chlorine in the pool weekly, as required. Do you test for combined chlorine in a bromine pool?

We recently had an inspection of our pool by the Health Dept. and inspector noted that we were not testing for combined chlorine in the pool weekly, as required. Do you test for combined chlorine in a bromine pool?

No. You do not.

Tests kits can only read total bromine which is the sum of free (sanitizing) bromine and combined bromine (bromamines). There is no way to distinguish between the two without very fancy lab testing equipment. The inspector doesn’t understand the regulations as they apply to non-chlorine based pools.

Reactions: newdude
Even though it might not be required, I would still do it because there will almost always be a reading for CC or CB (Combined Bromine) due to the presence of a variety of oxidizer products that can be formed by bromine.

Take some CC/CB readings and report what you get.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Even though it might not be required, I would still do it because there will almost always be a reading for CC or CB (Combined Bromine) due to the presence of a variety of oxidizer products that can be formed by bromine.

Take some CC/CB readings and report what you get.
So.... I do the test same as I would for Combined Chlorine in a chlorine pool, i.e. after water sample turns clear add 5 drops of reagent #3 and if sample turns pink add drops of R-0871 until clear and then do the math. Is that right?