Combined chlorine 0.4-0.6

dford8583

Nov 30, 2019
Mobile, Alabama
New to pool ownership. I have a chlorine pool. I have been testing every other day and applying chems religiously. Liquid chlorine and muratic. I exchanged pool water a few weeks ago to drop my ca level. I got it down to about 35. I treated pool and got my chlorine up to 6 after the exchange. Everything seemed balanced.

Yesterday I checked the pool chems and my FC was at 3.6, CC= 0, PH 7.6. TA 80. CA ~35, CH about 80.

This evening, I checked the pollwater and it is showing my FC at 1.8. CCis between0.4 and 0.6.
I m getting worried about it. Any advice on what I should do is greatly appreciated

Deford,
For one, you have CYA of 35 which we call 40. For this time of the year it's probably enough. You haven't explained why you're adding MA every other day as the PH should not be swinging too much with a TA of 80.
On the chlorine front you are seeing what would be normal FC loss per day. FC loss of 1.5 - 2.0ppm per day is very acceptable. You can do a CLCT to see if anything is going on but I doubt it with that small of an FC loss per day. A CC of around .5 is perfectly acceptable and I wouldn't worry until you hit a full 1.

I am having difficulties getting down to the desired PH. Per pool math app, i am trying to get down to 7.2. It started above 7.8 and my TA started at 120. It doesn’t seem to be as affected by the MA application as I expected. Overall my PH seems to be coming down though.
Is there an idea way to adjust PH? I have been reading and it seems there is different information on the way to apply. The Pool math app alludes to just doing a full dose. The 2600 Taylor test kit manual says increment dosing at 50%, 25%, 15%, and 10% of the table values waiting 24 hours between each application.
Thanks for the insight on the Combined chlorine. I will just keep watching it and adjusting. I was just surprised because I haven’t seen that dramatic of a swing and having CC that high has been irregular for my pool thus far. I am going to do a deep clean of my pool filter this weekend. I think it can be filtering better than it is.

With CYA 40 your target FC with a SWG should be 3. You need to raise your FC with liquid chlorine before you start getting algae as your water warms.

Reactions: wireform
Why do you want to get down to pH 7.2? Your pH will not stay there for long with a TA of 80.

Reactions: wireform
To reduce your use of reagents use a 10 ml sample for the FAS-DPD testing. Each drop to clear is then 0.5 ppm FC.

Reactions: dford8583
The lower the pH the faster it will rise, leave it in the 7.6/7.8 range.

You stated that you are using liquid chlorine in the original post, so ignore the SWG comment. SWG stands for a saltwater chlorine generator.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What is SWG?

I thought your nature 2 chlorinator was a Salt Water Chlorine Generator. If it is the one that uses trichlor tablets then your FC target should be 5-7.

I hope you have removed the mineral cartridge from your fusion 2.

The lower the pH the faster it will rise, leave it in the 7.6/7.8 range.

You stated that you are using liquid chlorine in the original post, so ignore the SWG comment. SWG stands for a saltwater chlorine generator.
Hmm ok. I feel like the PH balancing is where I am having the most trouble. I haven’t gotten a good fee for it yet. I was aiming to hit 7.4 but have been adding a lot of MA over the recent weeks. My TA is going down to the acceptable range in pool math but my PH has been hard to move the dial still

I thought your nature 2 chlorinator was a Salt Water Chlorine Generator. If it is the one that uses trichlor tablets then your FC target should be 5-7.

I hope you have removed the mineral cartridge from your fusion 2.
Ah I understand. It is the trichlor tab one. There is a cartridge that was in there. I figured it might be spent. Should I remove it? I wasn’t planning on adding a new one. I do have some orings from online to replace the existing which are in bad shape. I will remove the cartridge. Does it remove from the cap?

Ah I understand. It is the trichlor tab one. There is a cartridge that was in there. I figured it might be spent. Should I remove it? I wasn’t planning on adding a new one. I do have some orings from online to replace the existing which are in bad shape. I will remove the cartridge. Does it remove from the cap?

Yes, you should remove the cartridge. See if the instructions here work for your system - Nature2 Fusion - Further Reading

Yes, dosing to 6 is good.
Thanks Ping. With the dramatic swing in one day from 3.6 to 1.8, I am really tempted to use some trichlor tabs to help maintain the fc level. Will try to resist though. If using tabs during the season, how high can I expect my CYA to raise over the course of a season? I also bought a set up with submersible pump and hoses so I can exchange water whenever I need to.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.