Colorscape issue

Rgon

Mar 11, 2023
Fontana, CA
I’ve had my pool resurfaced with colorscape for over 3 years now and realized that from day one I’ve never had a smooth finish surface. When we have guest use it it tears at their feet and ruins bathing suits if sitting on it. Is this normal?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello :) Welcome to Trouble Free Pools.
I'm sorry to hear you've been so unhappy with your plaster finish. You've got pebbles...right? Or is it just a really rough plain plaster that should have been smoother?
Can you share a picture with us?
I wonder if an acid wash would help? But be aware that an acid wash *removes* plaster, hence shortens the lifespan of your finish. That might be a trade off you're willing to take? Another option I've heard of is a sanding, but I'm not familiar with it. Have you spoken to any pool companies to ask what they might offer?
@ajw22 @Bama Rambler @Dirk <--- asking a few folks to chime in

Maddie :flower:

I know just enough about acid washing to know that I'll NEVER do that again. Maddie gave you the gist, and I can't imagine how a wash alone is going to make a rough surface smoother. I've heard a weak acid solution can be used to soften a finish a little to facilitate its smoothing mechanically (grinding or sanding or polishing), but even that sounds a little iffy to me.

I would say mechanical smoothing is going to be your best bet. You'll need to drain the pool, which carries its own set of risks. I think there might be an underwater polishing solution, but it would likely be expensive.

Have you been keeping good records of your water testing and dosing? Many finishes carry a five year warranty. That would be my first stop. Contact the original installer to see if he'll stand behind his work. If he won't, or he's disappeared, it's possible the manufacturer of the finish will honor its warranty. Some of those only allow their finishes to be installed by authorized contractors, and have been known to step in on a warranty claim. But be prepared to be hit with accusations of water quality as the culprit. Which is why you may have to offer proof that you've maintained the water correctly this whole time.

That all said... Welcome to TFP! Sorry it's under these circumstances. We'll do what we can to help you. Just keep in mind, that if the first "free" solution you're offered is an acid wash, or requires draining the pool, come on back for a more thorough explanation of the possible downsides of those actions, so that you can make a more informed decision about it.

I would say mechanical smoothing is going to be your best bet. You'll need to drain the pool, which carries its own set of risks. I think there might be an underwater polishing solution, but it would likely be expensive.

Welcome to TFP.

I was waiting to see pics.

Before you drain the pool get some 80/100 grit wet/dry sandpaper and apply some elbow grease to an area you can reach and see what difference you get.

Has the pool surface been rough since the first days or did it develop at some time?

Calcium scaling of the pool feels like rough sandpaper.

What can you tell us about how you test and maintain the pool water chemistry?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.