ColorQ 7 analyzer for Alkalinity Recall

wforider

Jan 24, 2020
Woodland, Ca.
Hey, all just got some info from LaMotte Color Q Alkanlity testing.
I am new and setting up my 4200-gallon pool using the ColorQ 7 chemical tester. All water tests were adjusting according to my electronic tester except for Total Alkalinity,
I seemed to be chasing my tail for getting Total Alkalinity, after adjusting water then getting my numbers.

Was getting numbers between 40-mid 50's. After 2 weeks of crazy numbers, I called LaMotte and talked to a Tech. He listened to my problem and said Iam glad you called.
Said they had other calls for the same problem, they farm out some of the testing Regents and Total Alanlinity was one.
He had me get my kit and check my lot number, ..which was 389-1021. He said that was the bad batch and they were justing finishing up on testing on replacement batch and would send
out a new bottle in a couple of days. Tech was very apologetic and said they were trying to track down customers through pool supply houses but it was hard with Amazon which i used.
So once again Total Alkanlity regent from ColorQ 7 testing is bad. Lot Number389-1021

W,

I got an e-mail about three weeks ago with the same subject..

I never did see any unusual test results. But then, as long as my pH is ok, I don't pay a lot of attention to TA unless it goes below 50.

I always compare my TF-100 to my ColorQ when I get new reagents. That was about 4 months ago, but their e-mail said the faulty reagents would go bad over time.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Good to hear they are reaching out Jim, it must be a nightmare running down Amazon purchases.
Funny how if you are dealing with an electronic reader that you totally trust it or think gotta have a tried and true back up.
I will be looking for a quality back up.

W,

I think of my ColorQ as working with a normal socket wrench, when tight is tight enough..

When I want to be sure of exactly how tight the nut is, I use my TF-100 as my "torque wrench"

I order all my ColorQ refills directly from the LaMotte, so they had my e-mail address in their records.

Thanks,

Jim R.

When I want to be sure of exactly how tight the nut is, I use my TF-100 as my "torque wrench"
Uhmmm, the TF uses titration and the numbers are never as exact as a torque wrench. Take the CYA test for example, you put in drops until you can't see the dot and multiple by x. That isn't very specific. Even the pH test isn't specific. I'm confused on how you can compare the TF to a torque wrench.

LaMotte is stuck in the 60's... You have to call them, they do not have internet sales.

My torque wrench analogy is by far not perfect, but the TF-100 gives me something accurate to compare against... The FC, CC, TA, and CH tests are very accurate and repeatable and almost never the same as the ColorQ.. I agree that the pH and CYA tests are subjective, but I have seen wild differences in the ColorQ CYA test between batches of tablets.. I actually use different three tests to verify the ColorQ's CYA accuracy.

The ColorQ's CH test is not Calcium Hardness it is "Total Hardness" even though they label it CH... Depending on your local water this test can be off by several hundred ppm.. For CH, my ColorQ reads about 100 ppm higher than the my TF-100 (CH vs. TH) so I automatically deduct 100 ppm when using the ColorQ.

I love my ColorQ, but you have to be aware of its limitations.

I have three pools and I use the ColorQ because it is easy to carry and use. But I don't really use it to determine specific levels, I use it to compare previous tests with the current tests.. For example.. If last week the ColorQ showed an FC of 7 and this week it is now 4, I know I have lost 3 ppm. If I want to know for sure what my actual FC is, I will use my TF-100.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hey, all just got some info from LaMotte Color Q Alkanlity testing.
I am new and setting up my 4200-gallon pool using the ColorQ 7 chemical tester. All water tests were adjusting according to my electronic tester except for Total Alkalinity,
I seemed to be chasing my tail for getting Total Alkalinity, after adjusting water then getting my numbers.

Was getting numbers between 40-mid 50's. After 2 weeks of crazy numbers, I called LaMotte and talked to a Tech. He listened to my problem and said Iam glad you called.
Said they had other calls for the same problem, they farm out some of the testing Regents and Total Alanlinity was one.
He had me get my kit and check my lot number, ..which was 389-1021. He said that was the bad batch and they were justing finishing up on testing on replacement batch and would send
out a new bottle in a couple of days. Tech was very apologetic and said they were trying to track down customers through pool supply houses but it was hard with Amazon which i used.
So once again Total Alkanlity regent from ColorQ 7 testing is bad. Lot Number389-1021

purchased a kit in April 2020 and I think mine is doing the same. Last three reads mine says 35-37 for alkalinity and kept adding baking soda. Used an older drop test and that one says I am at 140

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.