Colored Plaster vs. StoneScapes exposed aggregate.

david123456

May 4, 2019
Tx
Hello,
After 12 years I’m having to resurface the pool and wanted suggestions on what product to use.
I currently have regular colored plaster. I can use that again for a cost of 4K.
Or, upgrade to StoneScapes exposed aggregate for an additional 1.4k to 2k depending on hard dark it is.
We will probably move in about 5 years.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, David

I did quartzscape on my pool and like the way it looks. They said it should last longer which I hope is true but I like the blue crystal look in the plaster. I did sky blue and wish I had gone one shade darker.
We also replaced our old coping with Stone which looks great but like a home remodel going from basic plaster to quartzscape and stone more then doubled it

Would you mind a new colored plaster owner asking a few questions??
What exactly has failed that requires a new surface?
If you are considering another plaster job you must have been satisfied with the original correct?
What color was your old plaster?
Did you see much of the mottling that will occur in some colored plaster pools?

Thanks, Rich..

Reactions: BMK
If I knew mostly for certain that I was moving in 5 years and I didn't have money to burn, I'd get plain white plaster. It's a classic look and will still look very good/new in 5 years if water quality is well maintained. In reality, it should last a very long time. But if you want a color, then it's a different story.

Any effect on resale would seem to be negligible versus a quartz or pebble finish so long as still looks really good.

Reactions: kimkats
How big is your pool? I ask because I am due for new plaster soon and am too scared to start getting estimates. I am at about 20 years since previous homeowner has the pool installed. Also, to answer your question, if you are sure you are moving, get whatever is cheaper, most likely white plaster. Pools already add very little value to a home compared to what they cost, and an upgraded finish will really not increase that. Just the fact that you have recently resurfaced will be your selling point.

Also, if you read the 7 year warranty on that quartz, it really covers nothing besides complete failure, and it even excludes mottling. The warranty falls on the contractor, and anything besides catastrophic failure will no doubt be blamed on your water chemistry.

Reactions: markayash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.