Color match confusion on Chlorine test

pooloclock

Dec 13, 2020
san jose
As a first time pool owner, with some research I bought the Taylor Service Complete Pool Water Test Kit K-2006C. (side note, that it didn't come with R-0001 or R-0002!). But anyway, I purchased those at a pool supply shop to try and run my first chlorine test.

After following the steps with the kit - 9ml pool water, 5 drops each of 0001,0002, I got a light pink color (see photo) but then it says to color match it, however I have no idea what to color match to! The only color scale I have is the pH color scale on the mixer.

What am I missing?

Attachments

• PXL_20201230_204103853.jpg
    PXL_20201230_204103853.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 40

Your kit is made to do the FAS/DPD chlorine test using R-0870 & R-0871. You should have those reagents and R-0003.

K-2006C FASDPD Chlorine Test.png

Could it be that you are following instructions for the Taylor 2005 kit, but you have the (better) 2006 kit?

The 2006 uses FAS-DPD, you have to add a scoop of DPD powder (R-0870), which will turn the water pink. Then you add the FAS reagent drops (R-0871) until the water turns clear. Using a 10ml water sample, each drop of R-0871 corresponds to 0.5ppm of FC. If you for example had to add 10 drops to turn the sample clear, your FC is 5ppm.

Edit: Looks like Allen was a bit faster. Took me too long to look up the reagent names, as an Aussie using Clear Choice Labs kits, I don't know the Taylor numbers by heart...

Last edited:
Reactions: pooloclock

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
And you don't have to run all the tests all the time, especially not in winter:

How long does it usually take experienced folks to run through the tests to get all the levels?
If you have the SpeedStir it's very quick. Here's a 43 second long video of me doing the FC/CC test one handed cause my other hand was holding the phone. This video was before I got the SampleSizer (which I just got), in this I was using a syringe which I had pre-filled and set to 10 mL, but the SampleSizer is much faster and I love it.

I don't live with the pool I maintain. It may be five minutes from when I walk in through the fence until I walk out again. That includes visual check of pool, read pump pressure gauge, clear any debris from the skimmer basket, test chlorine and pH and add chlorine.

If I need to vacuum, or backwash, then it's longer of course. Most of the chemistry doesn't need to be tested daily. I do chlorine daily, pH every 1-3 days depending. I check my calcium annually, TA before adjusting pH, and CYA monthly.

Reactions: pooloclock
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.