clueless in little rock pump? lines? pressure? something wrong!

iain42

Oct 16, 2016
Little Rock AR
Everything is on one variable speed pump. Waterfall does not function at the same speed it did. Skimmers don't seem to be doing a great job at skimming. I checked as far as a could to see if a line was clogged. Pulsed them. Checked the salt cell for a clog. Checked the pump for a clog. Took the valves apart to see if there were any clogs... No luck at all. Even cleaned filters again. Water quality seems ok but lots of floatsom.

I switched from GPM to RPM as advised so not exactly sure where things went awry.
Salt cell starts working around 2000rpm.
Waterfall doesn't kick in till around 3000rpm... Used to function at a lower rpms.
The highest speed doesn't move the water like it did.....

GPM 40 RPM 3450 1862W Stat Normal Filter 27 PSI
GPM 37 RPM 3000 1284W Stat Normal Filter 27 PSI
GPM 29 RPM 2500 7482W Stat Normal Filter 27 PSI
GPM 23 RPM 2000 394W Stat Normal Filter 27 PSI

The way they put the lines together I don't seem to be able to get a bladder in to blast water the other way through the lines. I suppose this is built this way to get objects throught the lines.

I tried to provide as much data as possible. Maybe some is irrevalent but I am curently clueless enough not to know what is relavent.

If there is a how to document please point me to it. Any advice greatly appreciated. I'll try everything I can before bringing in a pro...

Last edited:
Iain,

Show us a couple of pics of your equipment pad... What you say just does not make sense.. I am interested in the input to your filter...

In theory, if you increase your pump speed the filter pressure on the filter should go up. It appears to me like your pump is running a fixed GPM but your system thinks it is running something else.. This may not be the case, but that is what it sounds like.

Set your EasyTouch to 1200 RPM and the go out to the pump and see what it says.. it should say "Display not active".. Listen to the pump and then note the filter pressure..

Set your ET to 1500 RPM and do the same thing..

Set your ET to 2000 RPM and do the same thing.. Then 2500 and 3000...

I want to make sure the pump is actually increasing in speed at each point..

When things like waterfalls and water features do not get the volume of water they should, it is almost always a dirty filter, but you say you have already cleaned it...

Could also have something stuck in the pump's impeller.. With the pump off, and the pump basket out, reach in there and see what you can feel...

Please let us know what you find,

If you have ScreenLogic, show me the following set up page..

Jim R.

Reactions: iain42
Iain,

Show us a couple of pics of your equipment pad... What you say just does not make sense.. I am interested in the input to your filter...

In theory, if you increase your pump speed the filter pressure on the filter should go up. It appears to me like your pump is running a fixed GPM but your system thinks it is running something else.. This may not be the case, but that is what it sounds like.

Set your EasyTouch to 1200 RPM and the go out to the pump and see what it says.. it should say "Display not active".. Listen to the pump and then note the filter pressure..

Set your ET to 1500 RPM and do the same thing..

Set your ET to 2000 RPM and do the same thing.. Then 2500 and 3000...

I want to make sure the pump is actually increasing in speed at each point..

When things like waterfalls and water features do not get the volume of water they should, it is almost always a dirty filter, but you say you have already cleaned it...

Could also have something stuck in the pump's impeller.. With the pump off, and the pump basket out, reach in there and see what you can feel...

Please let us know what you find,

If you have ScreenLogic, show me the following set up page..

Jim R.

When I took the measurements above that is exactly what I did. The filter noise increased. It sounds correct.

This is second season on these filters. I will be ordering replacements anyway in hopes thast it helps.

I did reach in to the pump and opened each plug to see if anything came out. It was clean.

I do not have screenlogic. Next year I add automation and wifi control.

Thanks

Unless you have put some pool store potions through them the filters should be fine. Should last a good 5 years and many more if handled properly.

Be sure you have no closed valves or something.

Unless you have put some pool store potions through them the filters should be fine. Should last a good 5 years and many more if handled properly.

Be sure you have no closed valves or something.

Fortunately I found this forum a year before the pool stores. No pool store gunk.... Darn.... Was hoping it was as simple as filters.

I suppose I could have put a valve back together wrong but I don't think so I was pretty careful but can double check.

I bought a bladder to blast water the other direction.... Any advice greatly appreciated.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I called my pool builder to recommend a pool tech. He asked what I did to troubleshoot and said that was all well and good. Then he asked if we used spray on sunblock. We have sunblock spray bottles in our changing room for people and just had a few parties. To troubleshoot he had me remove the filters and turn it on. Normal flow resumed so going to order a 2nd set of filters but clean the current filters with filter cleaner.... YAY!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Use TSP. Available at Home Depot or other big box stores.

YES.
This was a truly disturbing experience. I soaked them overnight awoke to black chunky water... Drained the water sprayed them down and soaked again for two hours. I've done this 4 times and water is not clean or non chunky.. Holy Crud no wonder my system was struggling. Lesson learned soak to truly clean. I will be using these filters through the winter and then next season I will buy new filters. That set I will take care of properly and use these as a backup.

Other things to check would be filter pressure with pump off to make sure the gusher is good, and check the return flow by hand to make sure when your turn up the pump the flow is actually turning as well.

Hopefully it's just the filters

Your filter cartridges should last many years. I have had mine 5 years so far. They will never get 'clean' looking. Judge them by the filter pressure you see after cleaning.

Your filter cartridges should last many years. I have had mine 5 years so far. They will never get 'clean' looking. Judge them by the filter pressure you see after cleaning.

All is well. My water is back to the old shimmer TFP quality I have come to expect. The pressure is back to where it needs to be. The system is skimming properly. All is well. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.