Gold Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Hello! Hoping for some help here.. We just opened our pool for the first time (well a pool guy did it since we are still clueless). He said the pool was balanced before he left, but that the water level was too low to start the pump.

Fast forward to 4 days later. It is cloudy, has been cloudy since last week. The night we opened we topped off the pool, then started the pump and filter. I've run my dolphin cleaner about 7 times and backwashed the filter twice. The filter psi is 12 and it's been running 24/7 since opening.

I did the Taylor test kits, which I'll repeat again in a little bit:
FC = 21
CC = 4 (!)
CYA = 30
TA = 190 (!)

I was thinking of SLAMing but the FC is already so high, is that OK once I get the pH in line? Any other tips? No sign of algae at this point, just super hazy. I want that TFP! I attached pics of the cloudiness and one clear from last year for reference.

Thank you!
Marcy

Attachments

• clear.jpg
    clear.jpg
    762.8 KB · Views: 22
  • cloudy2.jpg
    cloudy2.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 22
  • cloudy1.jpg
    cloudy1.jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 21
Stop adding chlorine in any form for a couple days and let the FC drop below 10 ppm. Then test your pH. I suspect it is high.

Then see what the CC is all about. Might be some potion they added. You really should not let the pool opening company add any chemicals.

Update 6/1 from TF-100 testing. Numbers are getting better, but water is still very cloudy, I don't see any real improvement there.

FC = 9.5
CC = 1.5
TA = 150
CYA = 35
pH = 7.2

Attaching a picture of the Cl/Br test as that is throwing me off a little given the above results, though color was hard to capture exactly in a photo. I'm still pretty new to the testing, but I've been very careful with the drop counting and swirling!

Attachments

• June1.jpg
    June1.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 5
I don't see any real improvement there.
Great that the pH is right were you want it.
Treat your CYA as 40 ppm and raise your FC to 16 ppm. Test FC and add liquid chlorine as necessary to maintain 16 ppm. Test and add at least 3-4 times per day.

full

Reactions: missmarcelot
Great Job!
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP. We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!

Reactions: missmarcelot

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great Job!
We are glad you have found our information helpful. Please, if you can, consider making a donation to TFP. We are staffed by volunteers and are registered as an IRS 501 (c) (3) charity and donations are what keeps the forum operating without advertisements.

Support TFP!
done, thanks

• Love
Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.