Cloudy white water

Unless you make a significant water exchange, CYA can be tested monthly.

CC can wait until you do your OCLT.

Thanks...this morning’s add got me to 21, so I added another 1/2 jug.
Do you recommend covering the pool to avoid the chlorine loss from sun?
And if I’m not going to make testing every 3 hours, should I overshoot the 24 a little in order to “maintain” or not fall below 24?

No need to raise FC above SLAM level. Test and add LC when you can.
The cover is OK -- but remember that it traps CC. So you do need to remove it for several hours each day with the sun on the pool surface.

6 adds of chlorine today...
8 A.M. FC: 16.5; 192 oz added
9 a.m. FC: 21; 128 oz added
10:20 a.m. FC 25
11:40 a.m. FC: 22.5 128 oz; 128 oz added
4:30 p.m (was gone but had someone drop 128 oz of liquid chlorine)
5:45 p.m. FC: 19; 128 oz added
7:20 p.m. FC: 21.5; 256 oz added (over the recommended, but testing before bed and hoping it’s at 24)

No visible change in the pool

Attachments

• B3D181C2-2800-4855-9718-F990E383A9D5.jpeg
    B3D181C2-2800-4855-9718-F990E383A9D5.jpeg
    350.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 703A3E11-55C2-46CB-B18E-84B53DB0EB24.jpeg
    703A3E11-55C2-46CB-B18E-84B53DB0EB24.jpeg
    226 KB · Views: 13

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK..so I’m guessing I miscounted either last night or this morning b/c this a.m. I got a FC of 27, and I would assume my FC would not increase overnight. That said, I would also assume that i couldn’t have been off more than a drop or two on either last night or this a.m.s test.
Even with a small error on either side, i think i can fairly assume that my OCLT was significantly less than night 1...so I’ll have to have fewer distractions when testing tonight.
I’ve read that sand filters can take a while...anything else that can aid that?

OK...so assuming we didn't miss a drop, I would say that we have acheived <1 ppm OCLT.
The CC is <1. I've been adding two drops for the CC and it's really difficult for me to tell if there is a discernable difference between the 1st and 2nd drops. I haven't tested at at the 25ml water (.2 level) to be more precise b/c i struggle with that many drops :).

We are definitely adding far less chlorine. Maybe 1-3 gallons a day to maintain SLAM level.

Patiently waiting for clear water...no discernable difference in cloudiness since we started. Will post pool pics shortly.

If the cloudiness isn't improving slightly each day then there could be an issue with the filter. Are you running your pump 24/7 currently? I also recommend pointing your return eyeballs downward to push around the water at the bottom of the pool at this point.

Husband did give the pump a "small break" b/c of the "heat wave"...ugh...but no more than a few hours. Filter is definitely pushing a nice flow through the return--i'll direct downward tonight. The sand and laterals were replaced last year and I do believe he peeked at them this year as well. It's always kind of hard to tell if there is a difference b/c of the lighting...but i would think i'd see something different that I couldn't explain away b/c of lighting...know what i mean.

If you have ladders or removable stairs you need to pull those out and clean them well. They are great hiding places for Algae. Also, if you have pool lights remove those and check the niches, also check your skimmer box and weir door.

So since the husband is a doubter, getting him to comply is not always easy. Needless, begged him to vaccum and backwash again today. He complied and again said very little debris or slime in the pool. The backwash today produced cloudy grey water that was foamy (leaving foam residue on the grass in the area where we backwash). Went from “chalky/milky” to cloudy like the existing pool water. Adding more water, very curious what the morning will show. Pressure definitely improved.

Reactions: IceShadow

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.