Cloudy white water

All I have to tell you guys is that if this doesn't work, my husband will never let me live it down...so you better be right. :) I'm counting on you!
But...I also find it unacceptable that the pool store says replacing the sand last year will basically cause it to be cloudy the entire season?!
I can tell you from experience that most of the folks at the pool store say what they say because (1) they're trying to sell you something you likely don't need or (2) the're repeating some "advice from a pool expert" AND trying to sell you something you likely don't need. I have one very good friend who manages one of the National Brand pool stores, and her opinion is the only store opinion I trust because she always asks me if I really need a specific chemical when I walk into her store. And I usually just walk out with liquid chlorine and MA.

But as much as I trust her, the experts here are so much better because they have nothing to sell other than the wonderful experience of being able to manage a pool with minimum effort and cost. I was a sporadic follower of TFP for a few years, but I realized this spring that I was only following TFP for whatever my "problem of the day was." Once I bought the test kit, began replacing aged reagents, read ALL of the Pool School articles AND started following their testing methods, my pool maintenance has gone from several hours a week to just a few minutes per day. And I'm spending a fraction of the cost on chemicals that I was previously.

One of the mistakes I made the first time I had to SLAM was that I did not get the chemical balance into the recommended SLAM range before starting, and I also neglected to test my chlorine levels every few hours in order to stay at SLAM level. I was basically testing FC/CC once a day, and would find that the level had dropped so far down that I had to virtually start over.

This spring I started from scratch. I reread every Pool School article. Then I read them again. I followed the SLAM process to the letter, and within just a couple of days my pool was crystal clear. Now that I follow the steps religiously, my pool has never looked better.

Trust these guys. They are the real deal.

Reactions: mknauss
thanks for the encouragement...and trust me...i'm trying to tow the line here. Weekends we can test more frequently...but during the week it's 3 times per day (which is the minimum).

I can definitely tell that the SLAM has done a job, now that I have a better understanding of the relationship between FC and CC. My OCLT has been minimal but for the one day that we added a lot of water. I should have retested after we finished adding, but it was late. That said, since then, we shock to get to that 24 FC level, when it falls below (which it obviously will), we add chlorine. We are adding 3-4 gallons a day, but I' comfortable with this just b/c the pool isn't covered and is in the sun...so it seems reasonable.

I've been hesitating on adding DE to the sand filter b/c trying to just have POP. However, today I had a thought related to the backwash we did on Monday. While the water did go from more murky...it never went CLEAR...it only went to the cloudiness that we currently see in the pool. That makes me think that the sand is not filtering to the lowest level we need based on what's in the pool. So my question is...is the premise of the SLAM that the chlorine will ultimately break down this fine particles passing through the sand filter...or...is it really an indicator that we should add DE to the filter? Or...perhaps my husband should have continued to backflush til clear (though between evaporation and the flush, the water levels were getting too low).

Thoughts would be appreciated. We do have the filter plumbed...I can post pics on that if helfpul.

What is the clean pressure of the sand filter and at what pressure are you backwashing it?

well...the pool hasn't been clean all season...so that's a hard question to answer. my husband says the clean pressure is anywhere from 12-15...and I can see that this is a challenge b/c if clean pressure is 12, then he should backwash at 15. I'm not sure if his "ballpark ranges" for what he claims based on last year are reasonable or relevant. I happened to take a picture of the pressure gauge on June 29 when i was working the issue with the pool store still, and that was at 14. Husband says it's at 16 now. I could have SWORE that after Monday's backwash it was at 10...but that was just a glance as I was only over there putting the robot in. I'm trying to get him to backwash again right now to get a pressure reading after (in the hopes it goes down to 10-12 ish).

so backwashed this afternoon...monday's backwash was murky grey and went to "cloudy" like current water. Today's backwash he described as more of a green color slightly, a little bit clear near the end, still milky and still a little bit of foam. Went from a psi of 16 to 13.5.

Approaching the 2nd full week of our slam...very happy to report that I can actually see the robot on the pool bottom!! Woo Hoo. Water is still not crystal clear, but we are staying the course and have learned a ton!

Attachments

• 936C9FE0-3874-4672-975E-8F30D7E5D8CB.jpeg
    936C9FE0-3874-4672-975E-8F30D7E5D8CB.jpeg
    187.5 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: IceShadow
Waiting to pass all three at this point with the OCLT, but we can actually see the print on the pool liner bottom.
I’ve asked my husband if I can start gloating b/c he was such a doubter...I can’t share his response on this forum :). WOO HOO!

Attachments

• 66DBA755-2EC1-4A55-A22B-9AC76FEF744C.jpeg
    66DBA755-2EC1-4A55-A22B-9AC76FEF744C.jpeg
    222.2 KB · Views: 13

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Oh thank goodness...learned so much.
What a great resource!
I will be making a contribution to keep this wonderful forum going strong.
I didn’t test after last night’s add, but generally my additions get me to target, so thinking i’ve Passed the OCLT but I’ll maintain and test tonight and morning to make sure. I can only pray that maintenance is manageable now that we get it ;)

Attachments

• 20C13845-1D00-4BC3-A477-16520A18220B.jpeg
    20C13845-1D00-4BC3-A477-16520A18220B.jpeg
    226.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 2C62F932-D121-4F01-8FDF-BB33A95E1081.jpeg
    2C62F932-D121-4F01-8FDF-BB33A95E1081.jpeg
    309.8 KB · Views: 14
It looks good, but note that it's still a bit hazy. Don't want to burst your bubble, but also don't wish to see you quit too soon and have it return. Clear water is what you're looking for. I'd suggest waiting on the OCLT till that clears up a bit more.

Oh I definitely am going to wait for the #s to prove it all out :). Thanks for the encouragement. After looking at cloudy water for so long I can no longer really tell and question whether its the sun or my eyes or just the picture...but i’d Definitely rather be safe than sorry :)

Clear is when you can tell heads or tails on a coin in the deep end (for those with deep ends). It appears you've got the chemistry right, now you just need to filter while maintaining SLAM level till it clears up. Then you do the OCLT. It's not necessary to get up early to check that till you actually need to.

This is the point where many stop SLAMming because after being cloudy for so long it's so much better that it seems clear "enough". Then the algae comes right back. I imagine it's not long now till the filter gets it all and suddenly it'll be truly crystal clear. The finish line is near, remain strong!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.