Cloudy water. Need some advice.

Charlie227

Silver Supporter
May 8, 2019
Vero Beach, FL
Two weeks ago when I started the TFP journey, I was running a high FC in the 7-9 range. Water was nice and clear. A few days ago I reduced my SWG % from 50-60 % down to 25 and 30%. At noon today, my FC was at 3 and the water is showing a cloudy haze. It’s not bad but it doesn’t have that sparkle. UV has been extreme here in Florida. I assume the low SWG setting is the culprit but I don’t know for sure. I increased the output to 60% so I can get back to an FC of 6.

These are my numbers at noon today. SWG had only been running 2 hours before the test. I normally run for 8 hours/day. I don’t feel I have a good grasp on setting the SWG for consistency yet. The only chemicals I’ve added was about 16 oz of Muriatic Acid last Tuesday to lower the pH to 7.4. It has come back up some.

FC 3
CC 0
pH 7.6
TA 80
CYA 85
Salt 3487
Water Temp 85
CSI -.025

What would you do to clear up the water in my SWG pool? Thank you.

I am sure you will get the answer you are looking for in this forum. My initial thought is your FC is too low for the amount of CYA you are reading.
Please take a look at the FC/CYA chart here-

Yes, I agree with the low FC.

Update:

After my previous test, I bumped the SWG to 60%. After 6 hours, I was back up to FC 4 even with all the brilliant sunshine. The pH went down to 7.4. I had 3 folks in the pool most of the afternoon. I am going to run the pump all night and set SWG at 50% and see where I am in the morning.

I did the OCLT this morning. Last night the FC was 6 and this morning it is 5.5. Looks like that is ok and my previous cloudy water was the result of letting my FC get too low (3) considering my CYA level.

Thanks for all your good advice. Much appreciated.

Reactions: justinc

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.