amberc33tx

Jun 9, 2020
Houston, TX
I recently upgraded to an Intex Krystal Clear 1200 gph Sand Filter pump combo on my round intex 15' x 48" pool and I have already had to drain once because of cloudy water and very small particles that would fall to bottom of pool. When I would try and vacuum, the particles were too small to vacuum and would just spread out again making the pool cloudy again. After draining, the particles were thick and almost like a gray mud. After draining I was able to get the pool clear again however I feel it is getting cloudy again. I use the testing strips to check chemical balance and apply as suggested. I also used floc to drop the particles to the pool floor however that is where it would get cloudy again when vacuuming. My return flow does not have the same pressure that it did when I first installed it. This is my first above ground pool so I am clueless on how to begin troubleshooting. I did plug one of the inlet holes so it down to 1 for intake.

Attachments

• IMG_6527.jpg
    IMG_6527.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6528.jpg
    IMG_6528.jpg
    298.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6529.jpg
    IMG_6529.jpg
    637.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_6530.jpg
    IMG_6530.jpg
    568 KB · Views: 10
Welcome!
Unfortunately Floc into sand is bad combo :( It gunks the sand, rendering it literally useless...

I would definitely suggest to upgrade to proper drop test kit (including a CYA test and FAS-DPD test). You will need the FAS-DPD if you would like to do a SLAM Process, unless it is cheaper to drain/refill and dump/refill the sand filter as well.

You have a very nice set-up! Let's get you the right test kit to go with and keep it a sparkling jewel!

Welcome!
Unfortunately Floc into sand is bad combo :( It gunks the sand, rendering it literally useless...

I would definitely suggest to upgrade to proper drop test kit (including a CYA test and FAS-DPD test). You will need the FAS-DPD if you would like to do a SLAM Process, unless it is cheaper to drain/refill and dump/refill the sand filter as well.

You have a very nice set-up! Let's get you the right test kit to go with and keep it a sparkling jewel!
Thank you so much for your help. Do I need to replace the sand in the filter?

You're welcome!
Thank you so much for your help. Do I need to replace the sand in the filter?
Depending on how much liquid chlorine you want to use to try and rid the sand of the Floc, most likely :(

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.