Milford, CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
So I opened my autocover to find the water cloudy.... no green color or anything, just cloudy. I tested everything and I am low in salt (2800ppm) and pH is 7.0...I am assuming this type of imbalance can cause cloudiness...of and Free Chlorine is p.4...

So I added 3 bags of salt (have 2.5 more but waiting for this to circulate and mix....) and 8lbs of borax (about 6 more lbs per pool math app) and again, letting this all circulate and will retest before adding anything else...

That said...is cloudy water okay to swim in? :)
Screenshot_20230527_143130.jpg

You need to maintain at least minimum FC for your CYA for the pool to be sanitary. I would raise to the top of the recommended range. Raise FC with Liquid Chlorine. Test before you swim, test every hour to make sure you are maintaining FC, even the simple OTO test.

It is not safe to swim if you cannot see the bottom of the pool.

Reactions: Stevez48
Your pool needs chlorine. Add liquid chlorine up to the recommended level for CYA 70 and see if it holds.

Do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and see if your cloudiness is an algae problem or a filtering problem.

Well...I am about to retest, but opening my autocover after adding salt and borax (just saw you comment @mknauss ) and cranking my swg generator for max chlorine production....it is about 80% gone, the cloudiness that is.

Now to retest and vacuum some leaves and Crud that have been on the bottom for a bit. That may be contributing too... I am thinking. But it is looking much better...

New test.... FC is still real low... may need to add liquid chlorine or something... but salt is 3600, spot on. PH jumped to 7.9/8... ugh. Cya still a little low, so going to add some of that. It's still 50.

Cloudiness is mostly gone...still a little bit in the deep end.

With a Ph that high...okay to swim? My son is begging me...rofl.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How does one add the bleech? In to skimmer or distribute in pool?
Bleach should be added to the pool by pouring slowly in front of a return jet with the pump running. You should pour slowly enough that pouring an entire jug takes more than one minute, preferably two minutes. Leave the pump running for at least 30 minutes after adding bleach.

Cya still a little low, so going to add some of that. It's still 50.
Do not add more CYA yet!!!!!!

Add 10ppm of liquid chlorine. Pour it in a pencil this pour over a return. Run the pump for 30 minutes, retest and post.

Don't add anything else but the chlorine.

Post FC result.

We will get other chems later.

Fc still about 0.4 maybe 0.6 ....lol. I bought 2 more gallons of liquid bleech. I guess I should add 1 full gallon....slowly. wait 30mins...then test?

Fc still about 0.4 maybe 0.6 ....lol. I bought 2 more gallons of liquid bleech. I guess I should add 1 full gallon....slowly. wait 30mins...then test?
10ppm is 3 gallons of 10%.

Add three gallons.

Do you have pool math? If not, get it..it will help you calculate how much chemicals to add...PoolMath

10ppm is 3 gallons of 10%.

Add three gallons.

Do you have pool math? If not, get it..it will help you calculate how much chemicals to add...PoolMath
I do, I do :) it is suggesting 1.6 jugs of this 7.5% bleach. Going to add 1 full...let it sit and retest. Will add more after that as needed.

Really can't thank you all enough for the help and guidance. I've never used bleach before like this.

I do, I do :) it is suggesting 1.6 jugs of this 7.5% bleach. Going to add 1 full...let it sit and retest. Will add more after that as needed.
Something is not right. How many gallons did you configure for you pool? You would have to add 4 gallons of 7.5% to add 10ppm to your pool.

Please slow down. With all of the additions, we aren't going to figure out what is going on.

The request was to have you add 10ppm to the pool and test 30 minutes later. This will give us the right next step. With these dribs and drabs, we won't get the information we need.

It is 33,000 gal. Pool Math app is configured for that. Attached is how it is configured in pool math, and also, a screen shot of the recommend amount of bleach to add. That's the amount I bought. I have added 124oz so far of bleach, total.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230528_144016.jpg
    Screenshot_20230528_144016.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20230528_143855.jpg
    Screenshot_20230528_143855.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 18

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.