Silver Creek, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45
The weather here has been very hot. My water is cloudy but to me all seems normal chemical wise. I have vacuumed and backwashed.

FC 7
CYA 40
TA 120
PH 7.8

What am I missing?

The weather here has been very hot. My water is cloudy but to me all seems normal chemical wise. I have vacuumed and backwashed.

FC 7
CYA 40
TA 120
PH 7.8

What am I missing?
Cloudy water is almost always a chemistry issue.

What are your CC & CH levels? How do you normally chlorinate?

I would recommend a SLAM Process, but you could do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test first to determine if it is indeed organics at play here.

FC 7
CYA 40
TA 120
PH 7.8

What am I missing?
For what it is worth I had the same situation with very similar numbers except my cya is 50. I had just vacuumed and the water was very cloudy with all chemistry perfect. I did one last slam of chlorine and by the next morning everything was clear as could be. I had brushed everything and had no combined chlorine for days prior. I'm assuming I dislodged everything that was dead and just needs to be filtered. I put a filter sock on the skimmer basket and captured tons of fine material in just a few minutes that was black in color.
Waiting for chlorine to come down to level and all should be good.

You're sure CC is 7, and not TC -- which would make CC 0? Back to Dom's post: I'd agree and recommend you perform an OCLT to see if you need to move forward with a SLAM. Vinyl makes the CH test less important, but not irrelevant. You should provide that figure as well.

The CC is 0. I apologize. I just retested and I have a FC of 5 so I suppose the chlorine loss test is a need to do item. All other levels were the exact same as yesterday evening.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did the overnight test and it was a drop of 1.0 exactly. It is still somewhat cloudy. Any suggestions? I think I'm going to still raise the chlorine level just to be safe.

I agree with raising it. Your CYA of 40 allows you to take to shock level fairly easily. I would suggest doing that and see if the cloud clears.

You do have a sand filter which can take some time to clear a cloudy pool -- see Pool School - Add DE to a Sand Filter

Take care.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.