Cloudy still after about 3 weeks from opening!

Jonathankpa

Jan 22, 2022
Central PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We opened our pool for the 3rd season and having trouble getting it to stop being cloudy. Three season pool owner only, so I know some, but just enough to be dangerous. Still a newbie...

Quick pool opening summary (and my logs should link here too - with notes that may give additional insight). Pulled off cover, let leaves into pool (seemed simpler). Ran robot, used net and ran filter to get rid of the "dark green pond" look. Robot is now coming out fairly clean - so I believe 99% of leaves and debris are gone. Pool water is now blue...but cloudy. I can see maybe half way down. I have the diatomaceous earth type filter with the many long "fingers" in the filter. I have been a bit surprised how often it needs to be "bumped" - as well as backwashed and refilled with new NE. Once it's bumped, it typically lasts maybe 24 hours (during mid-season) before needing to be re-bumped. Lately, it lasts only 30-45 minutes. As far as needing to be backwashed and new DE added - I judge that by when pressure rises from 18 PSI (newly backwashed #) to about 24 PSI (max it hits when needing bumped). I find that it feels as if I need to replace the DE/backwash every day or two.

I've been trying to keep the SLAM going - for the first weekend I did that consistently Sat. & Sunday. That got us from dark green down to cloudy blue. But during the week I haven't had as much time, but it hasn't progressed beyond cloudy. Levels do drop below slam levels - so maybe that's the key.

But why is my filter clogging up so fast?

Thanks in advance!

I've been trying to keep the SLAM going - for the first weekend I did that consistently Sat. & Sunday. That got us from dark green down to cloudy blue. But during the week I haven't had as much time, but it hasn't progressed beyond cloudy. Levels do drop below slam levels - so maybe that's the key.
Consistency is the key. It is the weekend. Test and replace every 2 hours and you will make progress.
But why is my filter clogging up so fast?
You filter is working. It is collecting all the dead algae. Clean your filter, note clean pressure. When it rises 25%, clean it again. If you can stay on top of this too, the frequency you need to check will reduce as you make progress.

What specific type of DE filter do you have? Typically Regenerative Media Filters utilize bumping, standard residential de filters can utilize a bump but it’s becoming less common from what I’m seeing….when they’re dirty you backwash and recharge.

Last edited:
What specific type of DE filter do you have? Typically Regenerative Media Filters utilize bumping, standard residential de filters can utilize a bump but it’s becoming less common from what I’m seeing….when they’re dirty you backwash and recharge.
It's a Hayward Perflex extended cycle de filter model EC50AC. . It's definitely the bump type. The instructions on the top say to bump three times.

By the way CC level is 0.5.

Last edited:
It's a Hayward Perflex extended cycle de filter model EC50AC. . It's definitely the bump type. The instructions on the top say to bump three times.

By the way CC level is 0.5.
Bumping is a temporary measure that knocks some dirt off the grids. With a pool that’s heavily fouled with debris as yours is, I see little point in bumping as you’re just delaying the inevitable.

Reactions: Jonathankpa
Bumping is a temporary measure that knocks some dirt off the grids. With a pool that’s heavily fouled with debris as yours is, I see little point in bumping as you’re just delaying the inevitable.
In that case, if I skipped bumping, I'd literally be backwashing and replacing the DE about every hour or two. That seems crazy?

Consistency is the key. It is the weekend. Test and replace every 2 hours and you will make progress.

You filter is working. It is collecting all the dead algae. Clean your filter, note clean pressure. When it rises 25%, clean it again. If you can stay on top of this too, the frequency you need to check will reduce as you make progress.
When the pressure rises 25% (usually it gets to about 24 PSI), I just bump it again. That brings pressure down to about 18 PSI, then I let it filter until I bump it again. When I get tired of the need for bumping getting so close together, then I backwash and put in new DE.

In that case, if I skipped bumping, I'd literally be backwashing and replacing the DE about every hour or two. That seems crazy?
I understand that! I had the same problem with our DE filter the place we bought our pool talked us into, the first year or so was great then, last year we opened to a big algae bloom and tried to get that under control and our DE was saying backflush me and replace about every 2 hours! So we went that route and again in another 2 hours later here we are again! Well as I'm sure you know, that got expensive! Took it apart, cleaned it, soaked it same results! When they work they work great and when they don't..... Anyway long story longer, Wifey was getting frustrated with me by this point because she cant swim yet and I am tired of being married to A DE filter at this point so off To Amazon I go and a Sand filter arrives 2 days later and I couldn't be happier!

I understand that! I had the same problem with our DE filter the place we bought our pool talked us into, the first year or so was great then, last year we opened to a big algae bloom and tried to get that under control and our DE was saying backflush me and replace about every 2 hours! So we went that route and again in another 2 hours later here we are again! Well as I'm sure you know, that got expensive! Took it apart, cleaned it, soaked it same results! When they work they work great and when they don't..... Anyway long story longer, Wifey was getting frustrated with me by this point because she cant swim yet and I am tired of being married to A DE filter at this point so off To Amazon I go and a Sand filter arrives 2 days later and I couldn't be happier!
Thanks for that helpful input. It's expensive to keep replacing the DE, as well as time consuming. I am going to research the benefits of sand filters. Happy swimming!!

Reactions: Warroom