Cloudy pool question

RookWDW

May 20, 2021
Ohio
Howdy all,

You guys helped me a bunch last year so I'm following your advice again.

We opened our pool May 2nd. I have an autocover but use a safety cover in the winter, which was a good thing as I had a leak this winter that would have destroyed the autocover. When we opened the pool it wasn't bad, mostly clear with some leaf debris. But, I had to add 8,000 gallons that I had trucked in from the local city well source. Our house is on a well and it has high iron, which I mistakenly used last year to fill the pool on opening. So I know there is some iron still in the water but it should be quite a bit less. I had an AIO water filter installed on the house including the backyard spigot to help with iron so I hope that I can top off with no ill effects.

The water looked good right away, clear, good chlorine, etc. I added 6 bags of salt to start, then added three more, and lasts night one more. I'm upto 3200 on salt finally and the salt cell appears to be working. So here is the question.

Everything seemed great. FC stayed at 3-2ppm and CC at 0. pH is always a bugger and stays high. ALK always is high. Last full test was 4 days ago:

FC 2.5
CC 0.0
pH 8.1
TA 140
CH 150
CYA 0.0 (more on that)
Salt 2200
Temp 82
CSI .38

Then
FC 2.0
CC 0.0
pH 8.1
salt 2400
temp 86
CSI .42

I added 3 bags of salt; 2 lbs of ph down; 1 gallon of liquid stabilizer; half gallon liquid chlorine; and roughly 3/4 of a pound of GLB Stain magnet to deal with iron staining on the steps and returns. The next day the pool turned cloudy. Note the auto cover was on the entire time so the low CYA should not have been the cause.

FC 0.0
CC 0.0
pH 7.8
salt 2800
temp 85
Added another bag of salt and 1 gallon of liquid chlorine.

Today:
FC 0.5
CC 1.0
pH 7.5
TA 140
CYA 10 (roughly, it's cloudy but I can see the dot on the bottom)
Salt 3200
temp 86
Added 2 gallons of Chlorine with plans to SLAM

So, what happened? Could the adding stabilizer, chlorine, and stain magnet at the same time caused the FC to get used up? Seems odd that there was no issue, then after adding more salt to get the generator working and adding chlorine, the next day I had FC 0.0.

Last year I had a heck of a time, which I surmised was due, in part, to extreme phosphate levels screwing with the ability of the salt cell to work, which I've read various articles suggesting a link. Last year when we opened the pool and added liquid chlorine it immediately turned brown due to the high iron levels. It took a lot of sequestrant to get the water clear, but of course spiked phosphates. Regarding CYA, I had to add a lot of dry stabilizer last year to get CYA levels up, meaning either I had bad product that wasn't as effective as it should be, or something was sapping it. Although I had to add 8000 gallons (plus much more from rain and snow) I still expected to have some CYA in the water this spring, but it was zero with no cloudiness during the test. This year I'm trying the liquid stabilizer and see some improvement from 1 gallon and plan to add more today.

GLB Stain magnet
Is that ascorbic or citric acid? Either will consume FC until they are expended.

2 lbs of ph down
It is not a good idea to use sodium bisulfate in a pool with a SWCG. Sulfates destroy metal, which is what your SWCG is made of. Use Muriatic acid.

Is that ascorbic or citric acid? Either will consume FC until they are expended.

It is not a good idea to use sodium bisulfate in a pool with a SWCG. Sulfates destroy metal, which is what your SWCG is made of. Use Muriatic acid.
I'm not certain what is in the MLB Stain Magnet. I'll see if I can find out. I did not know that about the PH decreaser. Where do I get muriatic acid?

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/http://www.poolwater.com/msds/all/GLB%20Stain%20Magnet.pdf

Looks like it is sodium erythrobate and sodium sulfite. So, maybe not the right product to use. Which will suck because it clears iron staining instantly.

Plain ascorbic acid removes iron staining instantly. And you know what it is. You can get it via DudaDiesel and other chemical suppliers.

Prior to adding the AA, you let the FC drop to near zero. As the AA will expend itself on the FC instead of remove the iron staining.

AA does not contain phosphates. Phosphates are not a significant issue in pool water chemistry.

Okay thanks. So do you think my issue was adding the stain remover used up all the FC, leading to the cloudy water from algae growing with no FC? How long usually does stain remover attached the FC? Should I be SLAMing?

Well Tick. Thinking a bit of cloudy water means a bit of algae so thought I would SLAM and get this sucker clean. Got FC to 11 and CC at .5 just now. BUT .... water is now brown meaning my FC got high enough that it wiped out any sequestrant agent left. After last year and filing nearly half the pool with (what I thought was) iron free water that I had trucked in, I was expecting to not deal with iron issues. Dang it.

Now, how to get ride of the iron in the water without getting in the cycle I got into last year.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Test results from yesterday. They are also in my PoolMath logs.

6 PM
FC - 11.0
CC - 0.5

10 PM
FC - 7.5
CC - 0.5

7AM (this morning) (Note I have the SWG running as I wasn't really doing an OCLT)
FC - 6.0
CC - 0.5

So what do I do now? Continue with a SLAM and leave the brown water until I can pass an OCLT? Or, allow the FC to drop down, add sequestrant, wait a couple of weeks for the sequestrant to stabilize and then see what the algae issue is? I'm now wondering if I have an algae issue at all or if the cloudy water was due only to the reaction with the GLB product?

I'm also wondering if either I still had that much iron in the water from last year, or if it was in the water I had trucked in. Last year I got the brown water to clear up. Then had a problem keeping FC levels and had high phosphates levels (4000 - 5000). I SLAMed for a week, then I added some SeaKlear to reduce Phosphates and suddenly my FC levels were fine. During the SLAM I did not get brown water, so I assumed that the iron was removed from the water via numerous backwashes of the DE filter and cleaning of the DE filter. I have not added any new sequestrant since before the SLAM last year. The water I had trucked in, per the city, is from a city well but has no iron in it. I'm wonder if maybe it has iron but it's bound up via a phosphate based sequestrant that many cities use to prevent metal leaching from water pipes, and when I SLAMed this week it released the bound up iron? Which sounds more plausible?

Last edited:
Decided to keep on the SLAM and worry about iron once finished.

Last night 9pm
FC 10.0
CC 0.5

This morning 7:21am
FC 9.0 (note SWG is running so this doesn't count for OCLT)
CC 0.5
CYA 30

added 1/2 gallon liquid chlorine which should get up around FC 12.
added 2 lbs of dry stabilizer. Working to get to CYA of 40 and will adjust higher after SLAM is finished.

Pool looks good, other than the brown color. The brown is much lighter by about half. I'm just running the DE filter. My makeshift poly filter is down as my pump quit working.

I ordered some BioGuard Pool Magnet Plus which per their MSDS is HEDP. I couldn't find the Proteam Metal Magic that people prefer. I also ordered some polyquat 60 as it says to add when the FC is 1.0 or less.

Pro Magnet Plus:
etidronic acid 15-40%
phosphonic acid 0.5-1.5%

I also found some 32% muratic acid at Home Depot. Thanks for the tip. While at HD they had some dry stabilizer that says it is 100% vs the 30% liquid I've been using - it's also like 1/4 of the price.

Last edited:
Test this morning:

FC - 11
CC - 0.5
CYA - 50 (it's between 40 and 50, closer to 40 but I think I still count that as 50 right?)
Added 1 gallon liquid chlorine 12.5%

Pool is clearing up on it's own with no sequestrant agent. Shallow end has a slight greenish brown tint and the deep end I can clearly see the bottom. I don't understand the hows and whys it is clearing up as I don't have anything besides the DE filter going and my water pressure has not budged, but I'll take it. I think I might be good on the SLAM but I'll run it today again and do a proper OCLT tonight. Then add some Pro Magnet Plus and hopefully be TFP again. I'm getting a light bit of metal staining on the white surfaces, but since they are newly returning I hope Pro Magnet Plus on it's own will do the job and I won't need to use ascorbic acid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.