Bronze Supporter
Apr 16, 2019
Bremen, GA, 65 m west of Atlanta
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I've been having my son brush and vacuum the pool in the evenings, but the gilt has rubbed off the lily -- it's no longer great good fun. It's become a chore, he's neglected to do it daily, and now I have cloudy water.

:poop:.

So I'm doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test tonight, and most likely starting a SLAM Process tomorrow.

Nobody cares for your pool like you do. I guess I'm gonna have to hobble out there and brush/vacuum myself.

have you tried a robot?
Robots are too rich for my blood (and pocketbook)!

Do you offer compensation for the jobs? I've found that $3 a day gets the jobs done by my two boys. If they dont, no cash...no swimming
My son is 41 years old -- I don't think $3 would entice him to do much but laugh!
:laughblue:It's a cheaper to live with parents/slight case of autism that keeps him here at home.

Reactions: duade
I never brush my pool unless I get bored (running the warrior robot up the wall in a couple spots does not count as ‘brushing’). Always TFP clear. Kinda doubt that not brushing would cause cloudiness.

OCLT lost 2 ppm overnight, it's an algae bloom trying to get started. Brought FC up to 20, CYA is 50. Checking every two hours, here are the results:

830 FC 8, brought up to 20 with 6 cups chlorine
1030 FC 8, ". "
1230 FC 17, brought up to 20 with 1.5 c chlorine
1430 FC 14, brought up to 20 with 3 c chlorine
1730 FC 17, brought up to 20 with 1.5 c chlorine
1930 FC 15, brought up to 20 with 2.5 c chlorine

I'll probably do one more test at 2130, then leave it for the night. Tomorrow the same routine. We'll get this SLAM SLAMmed in no time!

Last edited:
Day 2 of SLAM Process.

The pool is already crystal clear! Lots of dead and dying algae on the floor. Son Patrick swept and vac'ed last night. And now, on to test results!

0730 FC 18 add 1 c chlorine to bring to 20 -- raining
0930 FC
CT scan interrupted sequence -- darn life getting in the way of important stuff!!
1030 FC 19.5 add 0.25 c chlorine
1230 FC 16 add 2 c chlorine
1430 FC skipped
1630 FC 19.5 add 0.25 c chlorine
1730 FC 19.5 add 0.25 c chlorine

Last edited:
Reactions: markayash
It was 8. I think it was a lack of brushing, not vac'ing out organics regularly, and not micro dosing the pool after swimming. I had asked our son to dump in half a cup of chlorine after swimming, but he never did. Add in some rain, and there's a bloom waiting to happen!

I would think it would more likely to be the lack of the micro dose rather than the lack of brushing.

I would test your FC before and after a swim to see what the drop is. It could be significant with a 4000 gallon pool.

Your other option with your son, is to dose before he swims rather than after. A pre swim routine is easier to manage than a post swim routine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It was 8. I think it was a lack of brushing, not vac'ing out organics regularly, and not micro dosing the pool after swimming. I had asked our son to dump in half a cup of chlorine after swimming, but he never did. Add in some rain, and there's a bloom waiting to happen!
I brushed my pool maybe once a month before I got a robot and a SWG. They have both gone up in price but best $1500 i ever spent. I can leave my pool alone for weeks and it’s perfect

Day 3 of SLAM Process:

0730 FC 20 passed Overnight Chlorine Loss Test!

Water is crystal clear, CC is 0. I'll check the OCLT again tomorrow morning, just to make sure, but I'm essentially DONE with this SLAM!

Catching it early and dosing the pool every 2 hours really paid off!

Thanks TFP!!! :kim:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.