goodyFH

Apr 6, 2021
Auburn, KY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Backstory: Bought house with pool in January. Got it going good with yalls advise. I bought a stenner pump and a drum of chlorine. its been going good.

I go on vacation last week, i thought i had plenty chlorine in the stenner but i was wrong. Got home saturday to a very green pool.

I poured a bunch of chlorine in and the next day its not green but very cloudy.

So ive been adding at least a gallon everyday and its still cloudy, i actually got out the tablet holder and put it in there with 4 3"tablets in it

I read where it could be the ph, so i got some muriatic acid today
My test results when i got home from work were:

FC - 0 , last night it was around 10
pH - above 8, 7.5 after adding half gallon of acid

so i add 2 gallons of chlorine to shock, now my readings are:

fc - 11
ph - 8ish (i read its not very accurate during shocking)
TA - 140
CH - 100
CYA- 30ish

I have 14000 gallon above ground with sand filter

What should i do???

I havent tried brushing walls or floor, but it doesnt seem dirty just cloudy but that could just be ignorance

So this what i gathered...

-Take tabs out
-check chlorine levels multiple times a day and add to shock level, would morning, lunch time, 5ish, and then 10ish be good?
-i have a robot vacuum, should i run it now?
-basically its gonna take a week

What else?

Take tabs out
Check (y)
check chlorine levels multiple times a day and add to shock level, would morning, lunch time, 5ish, and then 10ish be good?
2 hours is best. The more you ‘M’aintain the quicker it goes. Do the best you can of course.
have a robot vacuum, should i run it now
Sure. Brush and vac/robot daily. More if time allows.
basically its gonna take a week
Many times yes but all pools and particularly their filters are different. First you kill the crud and then you wait as the filter removes whatever didn’t dissolve.
What else
Lower PH to 7.2 with MA. If you are really high above range it may take more than one add to be back in range.

Backwash the filter at 25% rise in psi.

keep reading the slam guide.

ask away with any thoughts. :)

No. 10+ messes it up. You can let it drift down to 9.5, See/fix the PH and then hit it hard.

How’s your filter? Is it clean? I don’t know much about sand filters but I read people need to occasionally replenish or replace the sand.
filter got cleaned out and new sand beginning of season so i think it should be good,

i backwashed some earlier today and it was clear. does that mean i didnt backwash long enough?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Check (y)

2 hours is best. The more you ‘M’aintain the quicker it goes. Do the best you can of course.

Sure. Brush and vac/robot daily. More if time allows.

Many times yes but all pools and particularly their filters are different. First you kill the crud and then you wait as the filter removes whatever didn’t dissolve.

Lower PH to 7.2 with MA. If you are really high above range it may take more than one add to be back in range.

Backwash the filter at 25% rise in psi.

keep reading the slam guide.

ask away with any thoughts. :)
thanks, i can do most of that i believe. 2 hrs wont happen during day due to work but i live close enough i can come home for lunch and possibly one other time throughout day

Reactions: Newdude
Matter of fact the original PH in post 1 probably isn’t that high because of the 11 FC. Sorry I missed that until now.
ok cool, i added a quart at lunch around 230 today and it got it down to about 7.8-8 then another quart after work brought down to 7.5ish before i started heavy with the bleachy stuff

To be thorough (on your behalf), you passed all 3 criteria, correct ?

Clear water
Pass Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
CCs less than .5

We don’t want you to be doing this again so somebody will always gently remind you just in case. :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.