Cloudy pool, algae covered floor, no chlorine...

Ace hardware did not have any muriatic acid in the paint department?
I didn't check Ace, but they had some at Lowe's. However, I've learned that the muriatic acid intended for industrial use is not safe for swimming pool use. There are some rather harsh chemicals added in to that type. We couldn't find any intended for swimming pool use.

Did the pool store say that by chance? That would be a new one, but totally in line with the other pool store stories
It’s specifically mentioned on the (HD/Lowe’s) manufacturers safety data sheet that they have only tested it for concrete and not pools therefore they say no for pools.

Reactions: JJ_Tex
I didn't check Ace, but they had some at Lowe's. However, I've learned that the muriatic acid intended for industrial use is not safe for swimming pool use. There are some rather harsh chemicals added in to that type. We couldn't find any intended for swimming pool use.
I think Lowes sells it in two strengths 14.something% and 31.4% just make sure whichever one you use is set in the app otherwise you may not get the effect you're aiming for which isn't a problem using the weaker one and miscalculating but using the stronger one and miscalculating will cause a major unexpected drop in PH.

Oh wow, ok. The paint department at Home Depot just said it's not safe for use in pools, as far as they knew. I think the lady at the pool store was the one that said it had other stuff in it or maybe she said it was too strong, I don't remember. I'm kind of afraid to use the stuff again, myself. I used the strongest stuff apparently, since what I got before (from the pool store) WAS 31.45%. I tried not to breathe any of it, but got a whiff of it a few times anyhow, and it wasn't pleasant. I don't like those strong chemicals. I would prefer to work with the dry acid in this case, but if we can find some again, I'll try to to be a baby about it, and get some next time.
Anyhow, we won't be working with anything other than chlorine for the next couple days anyways, because the filter sprang a leak after I changed the pressure gauge! 🤦‍♀️There's a hole just above where the gauge screws in. Water pours out when the pump is turned on.😭 My husband is going to try to fix it with some JB Weld tomorrow.👨‍🔧 It'll be a temporary fix, IF it works, until our electrician friend can get out here to do our electrical work for us, and once the breaker boxes are all changed out, we can get a new pump and filter installed, hopefully! Would y'all have any recommendations on replacements?
I really hope that JB Weld works to stop this leak. I've worked so hard on this pool, summer is already half over, and we still haven't been able to use it. This is discouraging me. 🙇‍♀️ I'm trying so hard to not just throw my hands up in the air and say I quit! Someone please remind me, why did we buy a house with a pool in the first place?!!🤷‍♀️
BTW, thanks so much for all the suggestions and encouragement. I really appreciate all the time y'all put into helping others, including me!🙋‍♀️

Would y'all have any recommendations on replacements?
@cowboycasey is my go-to guy for these. He always has great ideas.
Someone please remind me, why did we buy a house with a pool in the first place?!!🤷‍♀️
Chin up. Sometimes it takes some doing and the learning curve is steep when there are other problems besides the water. But in the end you’ll be floating and loving life when it’s hot out. You’ll get there, We got you. Also, there is no learning like doing and you are taking an accelerated course with all you have going on. Trust me you guys will be your own pros in no time. :)
BTW, thanks so much for all the suggestions and encouragement. I really appreciate all the time y'all put into helping others, including me!
That’s what we do. You are in GREAT hands.

• Love
Reactions: DoePooled

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You Rang :)

Pumps and filters are very hard to come by right now but we know the places...

These are both great pumps for a great price..

I see you have a sand filter.. do you want to stay with one or change to a cart filter? Here is one of each, I love a cart filter and only clean mine once a year.. It should get the same for you unless you have lots of trees or junk that gets in the pool.. Mine has been going strong 9 years..

Here is a great sand filter, it is not small and should get a month or so before requiring backwashed... My friend bought it and LOVES it..

All these are in stock and great companies to deal with... There are other ones also so if you want something else let me know :)

I don't like those strong chemicals. I would prefer to work with the dry acid in this case
Be aware dry acid is going to add sulfates to your pool. That is one of those chemicals that are not going away over time. If your CH is high enough you may start seeing calcium sulfate (aka gypsum) to form.

You can get a full respirator mask with filters for organic vapors at a paint store or even Amazon (don’t get the half piece as your eyes will still be exposed). Or you could try 10 baume MA (half concentration).

Neh, stick to liquid MA, dry acid isn't the best. just so you know I only buy the big box store liquid MA in the paint department because there's no difference. On another note when changing psi gauges be careful not to over tighten otherwise plastic will split, maybe that's what you have going on. Remove gauge, use jb weld built up around the threaded hole, after curing put it back and don't drive it all the way. Check if it's not leaking leave it there. Have a pool like that going for years.

Last edited:
Hi Doe! Yeah, that muriatic acid is strong stuff, but try this next time....Wear protective
eye wear and gloves. Be upwind from the bottle. Open it and lower the bottle into
the pool so the water supports it (floating a bit) then tilt to pour. Cap it and give it a
dunk to clean and you’re done! Put in small amounts at first until you get a good idea
of how much you’re adding via your testing. I prefer to only handle acid once and not
measure into a cup. See what works best for you!

You’re doing great! Keep on goin'!

Last edited:
Be aware dry acid is going to add sulfates to your pool. That is one of those chemicals that are not going away over time. If your CH is high enough you may start seeing calcium sulfate (aka gypsum) to form.

You can get a full respirator mask with filters for organic vapors at a paint store or even Amazon (don’t get the half piece as your eyes will still be exposed). Or you could try 10 baume MA (half concentration).
I noticed some respirator masks the other day at, I think it was Lowe's, so I may just try one of those out. I'll take the dry acid back then, and get some muriatic acid.
Is the liquid Cyanuric acid ok to use?
Thank you!! :)

Is the liquid Cyanuric acid ok to use?
Besides that it's much more expensive it's also very tricky to use. Doesn't stay mixed and if you need only a half gallon you never know what you actually put into the water. Granular CYA via sock method hanging in front of pool return is by far a better choice.

Neh, stick to liquid MA, dry acid isn't the best. just so you know I only buy thr big box store liquid MA in the paint department because there's no difference. On another note when changing psi gauges be careful not to over tighten otherwise plastic will split, maybe that's what you have going on. Remove gauge, use jb weld built up around the threaded hole, after curing put it back and down drive it all the way. Check if it's not leaking leave it there. Have a pool like that going for years.
Thank you! Ok I'll use the muriatic acid instead of the dry. Maybe the cracked plastic was a blessing in disguise, because I haven't used the dry acid, since the pump wasn't working.
Hopefully what my husband did with the JB Weld will work. He applied it around the edge of the gauge and over the hole/crack. He's thinking he might have to add a second layer, but he's going to test it first to see if the first application stopped the leak.

You Rang :)

Pumps and filters are very hard to come by right now but we know the places...

These are both great pumps for a great price..

I see you have a sand filter.. do you want to stay with one or change to a cart filter? Here is one of each, I love a cart filter and only clean mine once a year.. It should get the same for you unless you have lots of trees or junk that gets in the pool.. Mine has been going strong 9 years..

Here is a great sand filter, it is not small and should get a month or so before requiring backwashed... My friend bought it and LOVES it..

All these are in stock and great companies to deal with... There are other ones also so if you want something else let me know :)
Ok we will check these out. It's going to be at least another week before we can get our electrical issues fixed and then we'll be able to get the pump and filter replaced. Thank you so much. I'll let you know if we need some other referrals. ☺️

Reactions: cowboycasey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.