Cloudy pool, added floc last night

WONDERFUL question! The chlorine is to keep any living algae from forming. Your filter is doing the heavy lifting now BUT we do not want to take an chances of there being a bit of live algae so the Chlorine is added.

I get my liquid chlorine from DEL-Val across from Target in Mantua. 2.5 gallon containers of 12.5%. they also have 5 gallon containers. There is a deposit for the container, and the containers have vents. This DEL-VAL location uses guess strips, trust your testing. Do the CYA today outside in full sun.

Leslie's in Wash Twp only carries 5 gallon jugs w/o a vent.

I got lids and spouts from this link.
5 Gallon 20 Liter Methoxide Biodiesel Carboys Jugs - Utah Biodiesel Supply to get the lids and spigots.

Shipping is 8 bucks for each order of lids/spigots so I just bought 4 of each. I have already broken one lid from over tightening.

Budds in Woodbury carries the wrench for the lid. You can do this! I was where you are, 5 years ago.

And I am completing my SLAM right now. I am running filter 24/7 to try to get the floaties out. Just replaced my light on Tuesday, turned it on and saw the snow. Just some POP now. Water looks great but "I KNOW".

Reactions: justinc
As long as there is organic matter in the pool, it will continue to be oxidized by the chlorine. Even if you were positive there was no living algae in the pool, the amount of dead algae that is currently clouding your water is still being oxidized by the chlorine. If you drop the chlorine to normal levels now, it would quickly be depleted giving new algae a chance to grow. Algae spores are tiny and carried on air currents, so it is impossible to keep algae out of the pool. This is why we recommend prolonged elevated levels of chlorine during a slam, so that any new algae that enters the pool will be killed immediately and not have a chance to grow. When all the dead algae has filtered out, CC measures .5 or less and the pool is crystal clear you can drop down to normal chlorine levels.

If you are available to test and dose the pool several times a day, and vacuum at least once a day. Keep an eye on your filter pressure and backwash when it increases by 10%.

This video explains the slam process: SLAM

Reactions: JoeSelf
Ok so the dead algae removal is done by only vacuuming to waste? And to get the dead algae off the sand filter this is done by backwash to waste then rinse.

JoeSelf - I go to Danzis in Williamstown. Leslie is not getting a penny from me.

Algae is removed by the filter. You can vacuum to filter or vacuum to waste. You will loose a lot of water vacuuming to waste every day. I would vacuum to filter at this point and do a backwash and rinse after vacuuming. You will loose less water this way. Top off water when needed so it is between 1/2 and 3/4 of the way up the skimmer opening.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What you can do is turn off the pump overnight to let debris settle on the pool floor, then slowly vacuum the debris first thing in the morning. When you put in your last dose of chlorine for the evening come back about 15 minutes later and turn off the pump. Try to move the vacuum head very slowly as not to disturb the debris too much.

Yes 2nd cya test...it's a smidge cloudy, but I can fill the tube to 20 and still see that black dot. What is in my pool that is making it unable to see to the bottom?
I noticed in your picture, it appears that you are filling the CYA test bottle all the way to the top which may skew the results a bit (not sure how much?) I attached a picture to show where the levels should be...pool water to bottom of label sticker and reagent to top of sticker...no higher.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 10
Ill try it again. I was shaking it - it may have been a bubble up top
Gothca. If you filled it like the instructions said, then you are good to go...just wanted to make sure you were getting accurate results. The CYA is somewhat of a PIA. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.