Cloudy-ish water despite good numbers and little algae

Check your CH results. CH of 10 does not make sense.

You can test the pH. Just do not make any big changes to it based on the result. Unless you added a chemical that would raise pH it is unlikely it has gone up much from the pH you reported earlier.

You can test the pH. Just do not make any big changes to it based on the result. Unless you added a chemical that would raise pH it is unlikely it has gone up much from the pH you reported earlier.

Thanks Marty. I haven't added anything that would affect the ph, but it did rain for a couple of days. I shall test for funsies

good morning
Once again I face the very possible possibility of having to SLAM, aaaagain.
Up until now, this has been my routine:
Brush daily or every other day. Sure, at times, it might have been every 2 days, but never longer.
Test chlorine every other day, or every other 2 days. I have kept it 2 or 3 numbers above the designated FC/CYA level for my CYA just to be safe.
My numbers from last Saturday 2/23: FC 10, TC 11, TA 60, CYA 50, CH 275, ph 7.8. The water was CLEAR
On Tuesday, my FC came down to 9, so I added enough chlorine to get to 11, and I added a bit of acid to lower that ph a bit.
Today's numbers: FC & TC 11, ph 7.6, TA 70, CH 275, CYA 60. The deep-end water is CLOUDY and I brushed a decent amount of algae from all over.

I know that I probably face another SLAM, but what did I do wrong? I feel that I stayed on top of the chemicals, but perhaps not.
Thank you

Did you add CYA between the two tests shown above? It cannot change on its own.

If you have the proper FC/CYA ratio and fully completed the last SLAM the most likely culprit is the CYA test result. Be sure that test result is rock solid.

Do you have any light niches, check the skimmer weir, any water features, etc that algae can hide?

No, I did not add CYA. I also noticed that it shouldn't change on its own. I'm doing the test as directed, but perhaps I screwed up the 60 or the 70. Regardless of that number, I was above both numbers in the fc/cya chart.

I have one light niche in the wall, and no underwater water features; the skimmer area is clean.
So. I have to SLAM again, don't I? I can't just keep cruising at FC matching the chart because I have to kill the cloudiness. Right?

Have you checked the light niche?

I would suggest opening the light niche and leaving it open and doing a SLAM.

Take care.

During a slam, is it "better" to set the intake valve to main drain so as to move more water, or to set it to vacuum and to let the Navigator do its thing? I am leaving it on overnight, so eventually all the water should circulate. But using the main drain is a more efficient way to do it, no?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello
My CYA has been sitting at 70, which I read somewhere here that it is not recommended, but I ask if it's ok.
The pool looks fine, and I maintain the chlorine where it should be for that cya level. I know that the only way to lower that number is to replace water. Or can I keep it at 70?

If it works, great. Just be sure you maintain in the target level as shown in FC/CYA Levels.

Just be wary of your pH testing. With a target level FC of 10 ppm, the pH test could give false readings.

Reactions: nabril15
If it works, great. Just be sure you maintain in the target level as shown in FC/CYA Levels.
Just be wary of your pH testing. With a target level FC of 10 ppm, the pH test could give false readings.

Thanks Marty...I was taught during a SLAM years ago, to test chlorine using 5ml instead of 10, so as to save on reagent. Is it "ok" to do that?

Not for daily use. Only during SLAM at the SLAM FC levels. You should be using 10ml water sample for FC testing for daily monitoring.

Hello all
My latest and normal numbers:
FC 5, ph 7.8, TA 70, CH 350, CYA 50

I am trying to maintain my FC at a recommended chart level of 9. Every day, I'm having to bring up the FC from 6 to 9.
I know perfectly well that chlorine is a consumable specially here in very sunny Miami.
But, is it normal to have to bring it up every day or every other day?
Can I use pucks to supplement my chlorine a bit? I don't want to raise my CYA, so I haven't been using them. But with CYA at 50, can I afford to put in a couple of pucks in the inline chlorinator? Or will that not do much for FC.

You indicated cooler water in a previous post.......is your pool caged?

Dave, Thank you. No, I don't have a way to cool the water. When this thread was opened a while back, the weather in Miami was chillier, and thus the water was cooler. With our daily temperatures hitting the upper 80's, that natural cooling is obviously gone.

Thanks! The cage would have changed some things. a daily loss of 3 ppm FC is certainly above average. If you know how, perform an OCLT and see if you pass.

Skip the pucks for now......they only add complexity to an issue of what may be some algae that you can't see.

Report the results of your OCLT. Be sure you are precise with the chlorine drops test.......both times.

Reactions: nabril15

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.