Cloudy Blue Water and First TF-100 Test

Oct 18, 2017
SE/Florida
Hi,

I been having cloudy water now for 2 weeks so I decided to order a test kit. My TF-100 test kit just got delivered so I ran a test. Btw I double checked all my measurements.

FC 8.5
CC 0.5
CYA 70
PH 7.8

I have a newbie question can I dump all the test pool water back into the pool if not where ?

18K Salt water pool.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 19
Hi John and welcome! :wave: John, you can pour the old test water down the drain. Now before we push you to a SLAM automatically, I just need to ask a couple things:
- Please update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. It will help. Include the TF-100.
- ANY reason to think the cloudiness is from something other than algae? i.e. used any odd chemicals lately?

If we go towards algae, which it appears to be, then lower the pH to about 7.2, then based on that CYA of 70, your SLAM FC level is a 28. Make sure to follow the SLAM instructions (link below) to the letter, All the time & effort before is history. Now you're officially in charge of that water. Test fairly frequently (FC) in the early stages of the SLAM to ensure you are maintaining that "28" well. You'll see a pattern. Good luck!

Hi Texas,

Yes, I also think it has to do with algae as I have not poured any odd chemicals. How many gallons of liquid chlorine should I pour to get my FC to 28? Is there a chart that we tell me based on 18k pool? It’s 7:40 here in Florida, I’ll shock tomorrow after work. I have 2 big yellow jugs from Leslie’s in my garage ready to go, hopefully that’s enough.

Ps how long should I keep it at FC 28 ?

Thank you.

How much chlorine depends on how many gallons in your pool. Its a safe bet your 2 gallons is not going to be enough.
Use pool math to calculate your pool volume and estimate how much chlorine you will have to add to reach your target Cl ppm.
Be aware that you will need to keep you Cl ppm in the zone for some time to eradicate the algae population and the Cl will be consumed rapidly at first so stock up and prepare for battle.
Chlorine is sold at different concentrations so be sure to factor that in also.
If you don't use a smart phone then you can use this version of Pool Math. PoolMath

Anything else I should watch for ?
Just maintain that FC level based on your CYA...... just to be sure. Don't worry about the pH test while your FC is elevated. Once the SLAM is over and the FC is closer to 10 you can re-check the pH. Good luck on the OCLT!

Can I jump in the pool tomorrow if the FC stays within limit tomorrow ? Anything else I should do ?
Just maintain that FC level based on your CYA...... just to be sure. Don't worry about the pH test while your FC is elevated. Once the SLAM is over and the FC is closer to 10 you can re-check the pH. Good luck on the OCLT!

Hi,

Some newbie questions:
1. Why watch out for FC/ cya relationship once slam complete? Please explain. During slam I wasn’t measuring Cya. I only did it at first to get required FC level.

2. During overnight, if FC stays within limits can I jump in the pool ?

Thank you

Can I jump in the pool tomorrow if the FC stays within limit tomorrow ? Anything else I should do ?

Hi,

Some newbie questions:
1. Why watch out for FC/ cya relationship once slam complete? Please explain. During slam I wasn’t measuring Cya. I only did it at first to get required FC level.

2. During overnight, if FC stays within limits can I jump in the pool ?

Thank you

Last year, we had to slam several times (long story about that), but the grandkids did not want to wait for FC levels to go down. No issues at all. The TFP methods result in lots fewer chemicals than public pools and if you don't mind the look of the water, you can always use your pool.

***OCLT UPDATE***

FC last night 19.5 and FC this morning 19.5. Thank you so much guys and gals couldn’t have done it without you. My wife will finally get off my back.

Anything else I should do? BTW my pool pressure is in the low 20 range even after cleaning my cartridge filter. Probably 4 weeks old. I wonder if it has anything to do with the slam.

full

Now you can simply let the FC fall back to the normal range. Once it gets close to 10 or below, verify your pH. Other than that, clean the filter as needed (20-25% increase). If the needle stays high after cleaning or doesn't go to zero when the system is off, the gauge may be bad.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Your filter may still be grabbing lots of residual junk. I'd take a peak and make sure it's clean. I just noticed ..... now would be a good time to update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info. List the test kit as well please. :) Enjoy your weekend! :swim:

If you are on a mobile device you must turn it to landscape and then you can see your signature.

More details would be best. See ours.

Nice work and thanks for another great example of how the TFP method works without all the expensive potions and hokus pokus. How about another pic, same angle as the first as a "before and after".

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.