Cloudy blue pool just won't clear up

Apr 29, 2017
Bryan
Hi all, I am new here. I have been reading forums and lurking without an account for a bit, but I finally registered today because I need advice. So here is the background...

Our old pool filter electrical cord was killed by a lawn mower as well as the vacuum head we received with the pool upon purchasing (RIP cord and vacuum filter head ;) ) We were unaware of this for awhile and it became a bit of a swamp.

We are beyond busy and didn't spend much time trying to figure out the proper way to fix the situation. Instead we just threw a lot of powdered shock and algaecide at the pool and bought an Intex sand filter. Initially it worked and we had a clear pool that we had tons of debris/algae on the floor. My husband attempted to vacuum it out through the filter and clogged frequently.

I started watching youtube videos and I started to scrub the pool floor and sides. I continued with my chemical additions because the test strips we had were useless. Here the pool became a beautiful blue but horribly cloudy (we cant see the bottom).

This is where trouble free pools entered. I started reading forums about tests and such. I had to wait a bit to buy a kit, but I bought a taylor k-2006 test kit. In the meantime I had decided it must be the CYA levels and drained maybe a quarter of the pool and added new water. I also stopped adding powdered anything and switched to bleach.

Now the kit has arrived and I've used the pool math calculator and the advised levels and I have been trying to fix things but I seem to be getting nowhere.

So the TL:DR My pool is a cloudy blue (can not see the bottom or the liner past 6 or 7 inches down). The current levels are:
FC 5.0 ppm
CC 1 ppm
pH 7.5
TA 350

The filter was backwashed yesterday.

Yesterday the CYA was at less than 30 and has been all the four times I have tested it.
On Tuesday the CH was at 50 ppm, but it seems from what I have been reading lately that the CH level doesn't matter in a vinyl pool.

Please help because my kids would like to swim at some point.

Last edited:
Probably won't be what you want to hear, but with a agp, it's easier to start over. Drain and fill. Unless you have circumstances that won't allow. This is just my opinion. Your post doesn't give allot of background. But with throwing stuff in (like algaecide) it's better to adopt the tfp way with a clean and fresh batch of water. Wait!!! I just looked at your sig. It's a 22' so that's alot of water to toss. Someone else here might have a better suggestion. If my kids were impatient the pool would just get drained tho!! Hth??

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hi all, I am new here. I have been reading forums and lurking without an account for a bit, but I finally registered today because I need advice. So here is the background...

Our old pool filter electrical cord was killed by a lawn mower as well as the vacuum head we received with the pool upon purchasing (RIP cord and vacuum filter head ;) ) We were unaware of this for awhile and it became a bit of a swamp.

We are beyond busy and didn't spend much time trying to figure out the proper way to fix the situation. Instead we just threw a lot of powdered shock and algaecide at the pool and bought an Intex sand filter. Initially it worked and we had a clear pool that we had tons of debris/algae on the floor. My husband attempted to vacuum it out through the filter and clogged frequently.

I started watching youtube videos and I started to scrub the pool floor and sides. I continued with my chemical additions because the test strips we had were useless. Here the pool became a beautiful blue but horribly cloudy (we cant see the bottom).

This is where trouble free pools entered. I started reading forums about tests and such. I had to wait a bit to buy a kit, but I bought a taylor k-2006 test kit. In the meantime I had decided it must be the CYA levels and drained maybe a quarter of the pool and added new water. I also stopped adding powdered anything and switched to bleach.

Now the kit has arrived and I've used the pool math calculator and the advised levels and I have been trying to fix things but I seem to be getting nowhere.

So the TL:DR My pool is a cloudy blue (can not see the bottom or the liner past 6 or 7 inches down). The current levels are:
FC 5.0 ppm
CC 1 ppm
pH 7.5
TA 350

The filter was backwashed yesterday.

Yesterday the CYA was at less than 30 and has been all the four times I have tested it.
On Tuesday the CH was at 50 ppm, but it seems from what I have been reading lately that the CH level doesn't matter in a vinyl pool.

Please help because my kids would like to swim at some point.
Green pool and/or CC over .5 means SLAM Process

You were on the right track all along; you were just working blind. A SLAM Process is a high level of chlorine sustained long enough to kill all the algae spores. I think you were just missing the sustained part, but you also might not have gotten high enough. You've gotten most of the spores if the green is gone. Sadly, like most things in life, the first 90% takes 10% and the last 10% takes 90% of the time.

Your pH is okay, and the CYA is close enough to 30 to call it that, so jugs away! Just follow SLAM Process If you decide to try adding DE, don't go buy any. Ask a neighbor with a DE pool for a can-full. A whole bag of the stuff will still be half full when those kids are grandparents!

If you need some inspiration, check out some of these old links. Recovering my old inspirational links

Once the pool is clear, it should be a piece of cake to keep it crystal clear and sparkling. You've got a good test kit and you've got us.

Hi and SO sorry you have been having such a hard time of it! I think I see the problem. Your FC level is not high enough for a SLAM............you should be doing a SLAM. Here is a link to it:

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

If you look at this chart you will see your SLAM/SHOCK level is much higher than you tested it at the last time.

Pool School - Chlorine / CYA Chart

Another thing you can do when you start doing the SLAM is to take a picture a day and share it. Take it looking down at the pool with something inside the pool. That will help all of us see the progress. Your eyes will not be able to see it day to day

I see you are a VERY busy momma and lady so here is the busy people's SLAM set up. Test and does the FC at these "times":

-1-in the morning after your coffee has started BUT before the kids get up LOL

-2-when you get home and change clothes

-3-after dinner

-4-right before bed

Try your best to brush at least once a day. Can the bigger kiddo brush the pool?

If you can squeeze in some extra on the weekend do so.

Do you know about Pool Math? There is a link in my siggy below. There is a learning curve but you will love it when you learn it real good.

PLEASE ask any questions or address any concerns you might have. I LOVE to teach and help!

:hug:

Kim:kim:

Green pool and/or CC over .5 means SLAM Process

You were on the right track all along; you were just working blind. A SLAM Process is a high level of chlorine sustained long enough to kill all the algae spores. I think you were just missing the sustained part, but you also might not have gotten high enough. You've gotten most of the spores if the green is gone. Sadly, like most things in life, the first 90% takes 10% and the last 10% takes 90% of the time.

Your pH is okay, and the CYA is close enough to 30 to call it that, so jugs away! Just follow SLAM Process If you decide to try adding DE, don't go buy any. Ask a neighbor with a DE pool for a can-full. A whole bag of the stuff will still be half full when those kids are grandparents!

If you need some inspiration, check out some of these old links. Recovering my old inspirational links

Once the pool is clear, it should be a piece of cake to keep it crystal clear and sparkling. You've got a good test kit and you've got us.

I don't know because I brushed the pool daily and switched to liquid shock for days and made no progress. I brushed daily for a week straight adding shock/chlorine....

This was being done blind as I didnt have a good kit then, but do now. So shock again?

Yes, now that you have one of the recommended test kits ... SLAM away! Remember, it's a SLAM, not a shock, so make sure you MAINTAIN the proper FC. Last I recall your CYA was estimated to be close to 30, so that would mean you need to maintain an FC of "12". Before doing that, you might want to retest the pH to ensure it's between 7.2-7.4. Other than that, an FC of 12 is the prescription.

For FC testing, you can use the simple 10ML method: 10 ML sample size with one healthy scoop pf powder & mix. Add the R-0871 drops until clear and divide that total in half. Example: 20 drops = FC of 10. Hope that helps.

Yes, now that you have one of the recommended test kits ... SLAM away! Remember, it's a SLAM, not a shock, so make sure you MAINTAIN the proper FC. Last I recall your CYA was estimated to be close to 30, so that would mean you need to maintain an FC of "12". Before doing that, you might want to retest the pH to ensure it's between 7.2-7.4. Other than that, an FC of 12 is the prescription.

For FC testing, you can use the simple 10ML method: 10 ML sample size with one healthy scoop pf powder & mix. Add the R-0871 drops until clear and divide that total in half. Example: 20 drops = FC of 10. Hope that helps.

Ok. I will try the SLAM method. ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.