Cloudy 3 days after Phosphate treatment

TomlinPool

Aug 1, 2019
Kansas City, MO
Took my water to be tested and the levels were at 1000, so they recommended Seaklear phosphate remover. I added the liquid Tuesday. Filter got flipped off on accident (forgot about the timer on it) and Wednesday it was really cloudy. Ran the filter non stop from 6am Wednesday until now-3pm on Thursday. I vacuumed and the water is now cloudier than before. Like can’t see the floor. Tested water again and phosphates are at 500 now, so it worked...but can’t clear the cloud.
Hayward Salt generator. Chlorine is at 5, ph is 7.8, alkalinity at 100. Salt at 3200 27000 gallon pool.

I’m so new...so I know that part of this is normal...but I thought progressively getting better was the idea...and it’s worse today than the first day.

And the pool store recommends more phosklear because it’s still at 500...but I’m terrified to make more cloudiness.

Howdy welcome to the site....
More than likely the "cloudy" is the start of an algae bloom. The procedure here is to control it with Chlorine not phosphate remover. But we have to figure out how much chlorine you need as well as the other support chemicals it requires. Can you post what kind of pool equipment you have and post some test results. I see some but we need the stabalizer to.. give us everything they gave you...The pool store test results will give us a rough idea, but are sometimes wildly inaccurate. So for forum support with your pool we have standardized on a the TFTest kits. You will find links to those under the pool school part of the testing.

Read up on the chemistry information here.. get us some test results and the gurus will all chime in with their perspectives.

Last edited:
Ya the whole "you have too many phosphates/food for algae" line has been debunked time and again.

Yes phosphates are a food source for algae, BUT it's just like (one tfp poster mentioned this) this analogy:

You could have a free all you can eat salad bar, but what good is that if the doors are locked and people can't get in?

That;s what adequate levels of chlorine do, they keep the algae away so it cannot even get to this food.

Phosphate remover will not make your pool clear. Thats not what it does.

Your pool is cloudy because your pool is about to have a full blooded algae outbreak. you have to kill the algae with Chlorine. LOTS and LOTS of LIQUID chlorine!

It's hearbreaking that the pool store people don't really understand how to take care of a pool properly.
But they are just workers trying to sell something, which is what they get paid to do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.