Cloud pool water, dirt or algae?

If debris 'poofs' away, then it is very likely dead algae. Dirt, sand, etc will typically brush and not disburse easily.

If there is dead algae, it was alive very recently. So a SLAM Process is in order.

Reactions: Auburn02
To my understanding, poof means it dissolves pretty much into nowhere when you brush it or even next to it, super easily. Non-poofing would be if you brush it and you can see it sort of move to somewhere else and doesn't quite vanish. Also to my understanding, it means I have algae, because algae poofs.

I'll let other correct me, but that's my take on it.

Here's a video I just took of me brushing these patches on the bottom...
poof.MOV

Or maybe it's dead algae as mknauss mentioned. I was always under the assumption that dead algae was usually white or grey. At least that's what the kids as the pool store tell me.

Dead algae is brown and not noticeable until you push the brush through it and becomes a small cloud which disappears almost immediately. If it were sand or dirt it'll move with the brush but not create the cloud and vanish but rather it would be similar to moving a small dirt pile on the kitchen floor from point a to b and stays where you stop with the brush.

Reactions: mknauss
I'm still unclear about one thing. If the algae is dead, what is the need for the slam and keeping chlorine levels high and such. Isn't the high shock levels only necessary to kill living algae?

Thanks for all the info so far, I am learning a lot, btw.

You only see the dead algae that's not to say there's isn't any alive. As long as there's dead you're killing off algae. Brush away twice daily, get it water born so it filters out UNTIL there isn't any more getting kicked around with the brush. That is one of the criteria.

Reactions: Snoobug and mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.