Closing

cj133

May 6, 2018
NJ
I guess sooner or later I'll get the pool closed.
We're getting down to 25 tonight.

The good news is we finally got the stairs out, and the water will be good and cold again when I put the cover on.

With the weather at 25 are you running the pump all the time while it is below 35 degrees? just do not want your pipes to freeze....

I have a 2 speed 1.5hp pump I run in low speed 24/7 all summer long. I know most say it's unnecessary (above freezing temps) but I feel it outweighs the cost. Honestly I think it's costs me $40 a month.

But yeah it's running. No issues down to 25f. It warmed back up so I really need to try and get things covered soon and get the pump put away.

Reactions: cowboycasey
Hoping to close this weekend. I need to add some bleach as it's been over a week so I'm sure it's close to zero if not zero.

Not sure how important that is with water temperature in the 40s or 50s but I want it higher for a while before putting the cover on it.
We had fun with all of the leaves and wind a few days ago. Had to empty the skimmer every hour or so. A few times it was literally full of leaves up to the lid. It's surprising how well it works with a 1.5HP pump on low and how much it tolerates being overfilled with the low flow. The main issue being the leaves just start floating by and end up sinking eventually.

Honestly, I think the skimmer works far better with the pump on low than high, but I also feel it wouldn't work very good with more than one skimmer, or main drain.

The cold water is great, but if you're still running the pump and can add chlorine, I would do it. Refer to the FC/CYA Levels and ensure your FC level is at least halfway to your SLAM level based on your current CYA. That should get you through the winter.

Good news, it's mostly closed.
I drained it just below the return port and had to stop due to time and the fact I'm siphoning using a tiny 3/8" hose but the good news is the rain on the cover has been helping drain it. ;)

Reactions: Texas Splash
I'm still running and chlorinating mine in middle Tennessee with a stand-alone leaf cover on it (something I thought I'd try out this year), which has allowed me to feel more comfortable about not covering it early. Something I usually do just so I don't have to deal with all the leaves.

It's hit right near freezing only once this Fall a couple mornings, but that was low temps that went right back up to 60 on those same days. I think I'll just be watching the weather and put the cover on before a deep freeze gets here and minimize the chance of algae when I open back up in the Spring.

The stand-alone leaf cover is really designed to go over a winter cover and I will use it for that as well, but it has been beneficial as a leaf catcher since we're no longer swimming this late in the season. The one thing I didn't think about, however, is that, although the leaf cover does a good job keeping out all those big, Fall, leaves; pieces of leaves and other debris do fall down into the pool, so I have had to pull it off twice this Fall to vacuum and brush. Another issue is that when I pull off the leaf cover after removing the big leaves, some debris falls down into the pool, and more again when I put it back on, because the cover keeps some small debris on it that can't be easily removed that can fall down in the pool each time it's pulled off or on. Overall though, I think it's been a hassle and time cutting technique. Since the net sits in the pool, it's not a problem with the wind trying to blow it off; so I don't really have to spend much time ratcheting it tight.

I'm still running and chlorinating mine in middle Tennessee with a stand-alone leaf cover on it (something I thought I'd try out this year), which has allowed me to feel more comfortable about not covering it early. Something I usually do just so I don't have to deal with all the leaves.

It's hit right near freezing only once this Fall a couple mornings, but that was low temps that went right back up to 60 on those same days. I think I'll just be watching the weather and put the cover on before a deep freeze gets here and minimize the chance of algae when I open back up in the Spring.

The stand-alone leaf cover is really designed to go over a winter cover and I will use it for that as well, but it has been beneficial as a leaf catcher since we're no longer swimming this late in the season. The one thing I didn't think about, however, is that, although the leaf cover does a good job keeping out all those big, Fall, leaves; pieces of leaves and other debris do fall down into the pool, so I have had to pull it off twice this Fall to vacuum and brush. Another issue is that when I pull off the leaf cover after removing the big leaves, some debris falls down into the pool, and more again when I put it back on, because the cover keeps some small debris on it that can't be easily removed that can fall down in the pool each time it's pulled off or on. Overall though, I think it's been a hassle and time cutting technique. Since the net sits in the pool, it's not a problem with the wind trying to blow it off; so I don't really have to spend much time ratcheting it tight.

Sadly this isn't something i can do.
We often get to 0 here and occasionally -10f. I think the record is -19.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.