Gold Supporter
May 15, 2019
Bridgewater, NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Is it good idea to close the pool now or wait till leaves are down? I have family emergency that requires my full attention. I do not have time to add water or clan the skimmer basket as I am not home most of the time. I am thinking about just closing the pool for this season.

Closing the pool before the pool water is below 60 means it is more likely you will find a green pool next year. Nothing that a good SLAM Process can’t clear.

Close the pool and take care of your family. We will help you next season get it going.

Thanks @ajw22. Hopefully i can close it by this weekend. Any recommendation on what to do add to the pool before covering it up. I am hiring someone to close, but just wanted to know if any chemical should be added.

Thanks @ajw22. Hopefully i can close it by this weekend. Any recommendation on what to do add to the pool before covering it up. I am hiring someone to close, but just wanted to know if any chemical should be added.

Polyquat 60 Algaecide

Hello neighbor! Went to school in Bridgewater (High School West). If you have a mesh cover, purchase yourself another solid cover and place on top of the mesh cover and support it with straps and what ever your want so it does not blow away. Keep the sun off the mesh cover and you will have better success. Water will run off the cover and keep your water level normal. You can even place some small holes in the cover to allow water to drain into the pool. Poly 60 is your best defense at this point.

Or you can just cover the pool with a solid cover and some water bags until the fall as you have plenty of time for closing (probably all the way until late November). But if you feel that you will not pay attention until the spring, close it up and worry about it later. Good luck with everything.

I have a odd shape pool so another pool cover will be expensive. I have a mesh cover which did a great job. I might add something at the edge of the cover to make sure dry leaves don't get in. I have a pump which will go under the cover to maintain the water level below the skimmer line. After you I add algaecide to the water, Do i need to run the motor to circulate the algaecide?

Add algaecide to the water (Poly 60 non foaming, not metallic only), and the tarps are very inexpensive (under $40), and you can order off Amazon, etc. The cover will be either 15*30 or 20*40 and will be well worth it. The cost of chlorine will be greater in your area, given the extra bleach you will consume, let alone the time. Keep the sun out of the pool and you will surprised. No guarantee, that you will not get algae, but it will be stalled a lot longer.

As I mentioned previously, you can place a few holes in the tarp. Another option is to purchase 2 smaller tarps and leave some room either on ends, middle or wherever you can find space. Basically, cover 90%-95% of the safety cover and water will automatically fall in the pool, if you do not want to cut up the cover with small holes. Remember that snow will accumulate under it melts like any other time. This along with the algaecide is your only option. Thanks!

I guess miss the part about putting holes in the tarp. I will Get couple of sand bags to hold the tarp down and keep the middle part open. I'll take pictures once i close and cover with the tarp. Thank you for the suggestions.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Finally got it covered. I have Merlin ultramesh cover so not much sun goes in there. I could be wrong. This was my first season of owning the pool. Attaching the closed pool pic. Should I still go for the tarps?

Attachments

• 46DDE9C1-4764-47C3-9942-1628EF3E7E06.jpeg
    46DDE9C1-4764-47C3-9942-1628EF3E7E06.jpeg
    748 KB · Views: 42
Best wishes on your family emergency. One year I had to leave my house and pool in late May and I was gone for 3.5 months. Dirty water can be fixed easily and there will be many people here to help you clean it up next year. You just need to make sure that the person closing the pool has protected your pipes from freezing. Make sure that no rain water can enter the pipes through the skimmers, the pump basket, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.