Closing question, is slamming always needed?

JCTurner462

May 14, 2019
Ohio
After ditching pool store advice this spring we have had a very easy year of pool maintenance.
With fall here and winter on it's way starting to make plans to close her up.

With that said, my question is; do you "always' want to slam no matter what prior to final close?
FC = 5.0 with CC <.5
TA = 85
CYA = 32
PH = 7.5
CH = 225
Water temp 85

Overnight test last night almost no FC loss, water is crystal clear, and I have had 0 issues this season.
Should I take it to Slam levels anyhow, just because?

I had, and I guess the answer is yes do it even though it appears I am already meeting the standards of when to stop the process.
I understand that the extra bolus of chlorine won't hurt, just wasn't sure it was really doing anything if the algea is already in check.

Taking the FC up will kill off anything that “may” be lingering. It’ll also leave you with a higher than normal chlorine level, which is a good thing seeing you likely won’t be adding any over the winter. Almost everything you do while closing is insurance. You add polyquat, in case you run out of chlorine. Anti-freeze, in case you didn’t blow all the water out. Increase the FC levels to slam levels, in case you have something lingering you just missed.

If all is clear and everything is Perfect one dose likely will be all you need. Take it to Slam level, do an OCLT to double check, then let the FC drop some before closing.

ps.....where at in Ohio are you? Is it maybe a bit early seeing the temps by me are still in the mid 80’s??? Let the water temp drop to the 60’s as this will also give you some insurance against algae. ?

Just west of Cleveland, and yes it's still too warm.
I just like to gather information and put a game plan together ahead of time.
Then when I'm ready I just execute the plan.

I appreciate the info.
I would probably have done it for the insurance factor anyway, but I like to check my thinking against those who know more than I do.
It makes it easier to work confidently now, and internalize it as the best practice in the years to come.

Reactions: JessB412
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.