Closing Pool without Cover

Van G

Bronze Supporter
Mar 22, 2016
Toronto
We use our spa and pool well into November here in Toronto. We also open early for the same reason.

Friend with a new pool do similar but there pool company closes the pool except no cover.

Since this is done when leaves have fallen and water is below 50, is it something I should consider?

Last winter was our first with a pool and I just used a std tarp.

That's Great. We’ll give it a go this winter.

I’ve seen an article about closing pool when it’s already cold but I’m assuming there is no need for the winter chemical packs they sell when closing with cold balanced water, and then opening early as well.

Going to drop the water below skimmer and clear out lines and equipment.

Since my water is crystal clear and below 50, can I just raise FC to 10 and skip polyquat?

I’ll skim leaves, robot vac, and add chlorine (mix with sub pump) when not frozen. We’ll open in April as soon as freeze threat is gone.

Current Numbers:
FC 6
CC .5
PH 7.5
TA 60
CYA 60
Temp 46 F

Last edited:
We used a cover one year and never again mainly because my pool and deck connect to the house so we look at it all the time.
Never really added anything special and never had any algae during the winter. I have a small utility pump and if the water gets close to the skimmers I let it run for a couple hours and knock it back down.

I worry more about the water freezing and damaging the plaster?? I keep the levels between skimmer and water jets

I’m not using Polyquat either. I think we waited long enough to close and will be opening way before water temps hit 50. I do not understand the Polyquat obsession lol. I guess we will find out in the Spring.

Live in SC, if we just run the filter a few hrs a night when it's below freezing can we just leave everything as is, ie; no blowing out lines or covering? It's my parents pool and they go back to NJ and I am stuck with opening a green swamp in the spring and I don't have the time to deal with a swamp SLAM

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I live in Atlanta and my chlorine stays near zero during the winter and stays clear..
I have learned to open it before the temps start going up or it will turn nasty in 2 or 3 days.
I drain the water 3 or 4" below the tile line and because my pump pad is well above the water level I just winterize all of that..I do add skimmer savers to keep water out allow for expansion but have also started putting a bag over the skimmer covers to keep rain water out.

Closed things up nicely just in time for our first snow.

I lowered the water so it is about 2” below skimmer, which is about 6” above lights.

Do I need to drop the lights to bottom of pool? I left them in last year without issue but maybe I got lucky!

They are PAL LED’s.

Closed things up nicely just in time for our first snow.

I lowered the water so it is about 2” below skimmer, which is about 6” above lights.

Do I need to drop the lights to bottom of pool? I left them in last year without issue but maybe I got lucky!

They are PAL LED’s.
As long as it's above you'll be fine. The problem can be if water level is below lights and the water freezes midway or just above but at 6" you're good let alone any new precip will get it even higher.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.