closing pool with pump/filter below the water table

dm123

Dec 13, 2017
Birmingham, AL
Hi all! After a disastrous off-season with a pool company last year, we have decided to close the pool ourselves (2nd year owning the home / pool). I feel comfortable after doing some research and watching videos. HOWEVER, the pool company last year said they could not winterize our pump / filter because it sits below the water table. They said that you would have to drain too much water and the safety cover to wouldn't work / would sink in the middle and stretch. So last year every time it got below freezing, I had to go outside and run the pool pump / filter with the safety cover on. Needless to say, if I CAN winterize it, I definitely want to. I know our pump sits below water level because when I clean the pump basket, water continually flows out. Has anyone ever heard of this issue with winterizing? Here are some pictures for reference. Also, my pool is strange in the fact that there is NO main drain shut off valve. The only way to shut off skimmers is to plug them (no actual on/off valve). There are 2 skimmers, 2 returns and one main drain. Thanks!

pump 1.jpg

pump 2.jpg
From last year's closing / as we had a leak
pool.jpg

Please take a line level and a string level from pump housing to the pool and determine the difference. You state that the pump sits below water level. You have to be a little more specific. My pump, based on spot elevations sits at 163.21 and the pool coping is at 163.30, which is almost the same height. This means the filter and pump/motor are higher and water will drain down. If your equipment pad, pump, etc. sit below the pool (which it does not appear), you can still clear the lines, but will need a blower that creates enough volume, like the Cyclone, but can get away with a good air compressor.

Neither here nor there, you can still close your pool. You will have to use air to remove water out of the system. If you read my post, I believe you will receive the correct guidance. You can disconnect the union at the filter and blow air to close out the return lines and plug them. In addition, you can purchase the black plugs with the Schrader valves (I purchased some of them and gave one away to my friend) and only one on line store sells them. You can use this as you shut off valve for the main drain or you can purge the water with air and quickly use a black plug to close the main drain after purging the lines.

Or you can work backwards from the skimmer with the plug and air compressor. Clear out the skimmer line and then the main drain will be cleared out. In order to work backwards, you will still have to plug the basket so air does not go back to the pump. Follow the sequence of piping and remove water with air, then close the other side. Any area that can not be plugged should be completed with the Schrader plug. Thanks!

Concept of closing an IG Swimming Pool

The concept of closing an in ground swimming pool

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.