spicyboi759

Jun 7, 2022
Michigan
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi all, first year pool owner and first time closing myself. I've had a rough end of summer for my pool chemistry and am wondering if it's worth it to fix before closing. I have a mesh cover, so my thought process was that even if I balanced it now, I might still open green and have to spend more to fix.
Parameters: PH=8.7 ALK=52 CYA=5 FAC=0 TAC=0 CH=270 TDS=1100 PHOS=0 FE & CU =0
Pool is vinyl lining with sand filter, around 25000 gallons. Live in Michigan and this is the first week we've hit temps in the low 60s.
Thanks for any advice or help in advance!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Let me start by providing you with the link below which has tons of great closing tips. Aside from that, it's all about proper water testing, and pool store testing (if that's what I see above) won't do you much good. If you can ensure the pool is 100% algae-free before closing, and that the water temps are 60 or below consistently, you can open in the spring quite well. But take a look at the link and let us know if that brings p any questions.

Reactions: spicyboi759
Hi Texas Splash, thanks for your response. I had previously read that link and some other threads on winterizing, but am still confused about some things. My holdup right now is that the pool is currently green and I don't want to waste a lot of shock before closing if I will just have to use a lot while opening in the spring. If I fixed it now and closed with a vinyl cover, I'd hopefully open with little algae problems in the spring? What would be the downside to just closing it green and fixing it when I opened? Thanks!

Makes sense to clear with lower temps. I've just had to spend alot of money this year fighting algae as a first time owner so I wanted to not spend much more until I open. I bought green to clean, the only thing that worked on my algae problem a month ago, and I've got 12 lbs of granulate shock so I'll just proceed with cleaning it before closing. Haven't done the switch to liquid chlorine or getting my own test kit yet, but am planning on it after researching in the forums. Thanks.

Makes sense to clear with lower temps. I've just had to spend alot of money this year fighting algae as a first time owner so I wanted to not spend much more until I open. I bought green to clean, the only thing that worked on my algae problem a month ago, and I've got 12 lbs of granulate shock so I'll just proceed with cleaning it before closing. Haven't done the switch to liquid chlorine or getting my own test kit yet, but am planning on it after researching in the forums. Thanks.
First time pool owner this year with a VERY green pool and yes, the amount of money in mistakes that I made to make it clear was more than I'd like. But this forum preaches the tried and true method...SLAM.

Liquid chlorine and the test kit is all you need. Make sure your CYA is good and from there, it's just hard work. Sort of excited to apply what I've learned next year when I opened but for now, I look forward to not having to do pool stuff constantly and money savings from not having to buy chlorine and not having the pump run 10 hours a day.

Reactions: spicyboi759
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.