Closing created leak?

pdizzle555

Nov 5, 2021
Ohio
Hello - New Pool owner here so apologies if I get terminology wrong. I have lived in the house for 1 year now and this is my 2nd closing. All summer no concern about leaks.
I have an 18 year old, inground salt heated concrete pool 22,000 gal with a coverstar auto cover.

I had the pool closed professionally (air blown thru pipes) but noticed there were some leaves at the bottom so service tech said it was fine for me to open the cover later and net the leaves out if I wanted. 8 days later I opened the cover and had noticed water level dropped 3 inches. I am diligent about keeping the water level at the skimmer arrows because I was told it it important for the support of the cover and I had put on a new cover earlier in the summer.

Now I filled the water level back (2+ hours running hose) and after 24 hours I see about 1/2" drop. I called pool manufacturer and they are booked for next month and I called American Leak and they don't service until Spring. The company who did the closing is willing to come back and start the pump (sans skimmer and filter) so that we can start the heater. The current temps are like 40-60F. They are suggesting we run the heater for a few days with pump and get water to a level where the tech can dive in and look for leaks - lead concern is hydrostat valve damage during closing?? Apparently this valve is likely part of the main drain assembly.

I'm buggin out here and worried about a major leak in the winter and not having a safety cover in place -- am I going down the right path? Any other suggestions? Is this just part of pool life or should I be upset about perhaps closing incorrectly? Appreciate any help or advice. Thanks!

Welcome to TFP! :wave: Given the scenario of how a pool is closed, the hydrostatic valve is a legit concern. I can't see why/where you would be leaking water otherwise with the system off. Perhaps post a pic of your equipment pad just so we can see everything on the ground and update your signature as well - see mine as an example.

full

Thanks for this drawing and tips on using the forum! My concern is if the water doesn't get warm enough for tech to dive or no one else can come to service as weather continues to get cold, is there another way to stop water escaping the main drain? I am thinking like using a pole to get a mat to cover the drain or something until spring?
Welcome to TFP! :wave: Given the scenario of how a pool is closed, the hydrostatic valve is a legit concern. I can't see why/where you would be leaking water otherwise with the system off. Perhaps post a pic of your equipment pad just so we can see everything on the ground and update your signature as well - see mine as an example.

is there another way to stop water escaping the main drain? I am thinking like using a pole to get a mat to cover the drain or something until spring?
Not sure about that one. I figured the wet suit might provide adequate protection for a tech, but then I'm not a diver. ha :snorkle: If there is an alternative way to seal the drain from above, the tech "should" know.

Thanks for this drawing and tips on using the forum! My concern is if the water doesn't get warm enough for tech to dive or no one else can come to service as weather continues to get cold, is there another way to stop water escaping the main drain? I am thinking like using a pole to get a mat to cover the drain or something until spring?
Assuming there’s no evidence of water leaking at the equipment pad? Water level is below the skimmers so no water is getting in?

Assuming there’s no evidence of water leaking at the equipment pad? Water level is below the skimmers so no water is getting in?
No leaks at the pad. Skimmers were plugged with these blue plastic things and the pool was closed so nothing is on at the pad either. When I look into the skimmer there is water around the blue plugs. I first thought maybe they failed and let water go into the skimmer lines but that is not the case.

No leaks at the pad. Skimmers were plugged with these blue plastic things and the pool was closed so nothing is on at the pad either. When I look into the skimmer there is water around the blue plugs. I first thought maybe they failed and let water go into the skimmer lines but that is not the case.
What kind of plugs are they? My gizmos can let water through if they are over tightened and the gasket squeezes out of the way. Those little screw on rubber plugs can also leak in threaded joints. I might lower the water and see if it keeps going or stops when it gets below the skimmer.

What kind of plugs are they? My gizmos can let water through if they are over tightened and the gasket squeezes out of the way. Those little screw on rubber plugs can also leak in threaded joints. I might lower the water and see if it keeps going or stops when it gets below the skimmer.
I'll grab a picture when I get home but since there was water in the skimmer around the plugs I didn't think it was escaping from the skimmer drain. Just the water was dropping in the pool. But I think you are right, if I can keep the water level low and monitor I might be able to see if it is something skimmer or jet related but unfortunately that means keeping the auto-cover open and there are tons of trees dropping leaves all around this time of year, but I may not have a choice

I'll grab a picture when I get home but since there was water in the skimmer around the plugs I didn't think it was escaping from the skimmer drain. Just the water was dropping in the pool. But I think you are right, if I can keep the water level low and monitor I might be able to see if it is something skimmer or jet related but unfortunately that means keeping the auto-cover open and there are tons of trees dropping leaves all around this time of year, but I may not have a choice
I lower my water below the skimmer, add some antifreeze down the pipe, plug it with a gizmo, then add some antifreeze to the plugged skimmer. I figure if any water gets in the skimmer, it’ll have a bit of antifreeze and a gizmo to protect it. Probably overkill.

Do you have a cover pump?

Is water leaking through the cover and getting pumped off by the cover pump?

Did you run the suction on main drain only recently?

Blowing out the main drain should not disturb the hydrostat.

However, if you used the main drain only and the drain cover was blocked, then the suction can pop open the hydrostat.

The hydrostat will usually close back by itself unless sand and grit cause the valve to not fully close.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey Dizzle and Welcome !!! I agree with all of the above but had a different thought. Do you have a waste option at the pad ? If the main drain wasn’t shut off and air locked, it could be siphoning to the lower drain location.

I had a simple 3 way valve to waste instead of an MPV at the filter and mine could have done this with the valve handles in the wrong settings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.