Closing company responsible for frozen pipe?

kirkfrey

Sep 27, 2010
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I just opened our pool today and it appears that the lines run for the slide and waterfall must have frozen and broke. When the pumps are on water is bubbling up next to the deck. We paid to have the pool closed to avoid this exact kind of thing. we've never had any issues and used the same company that built the pool. In general, if a company closed the pool are they responsible to fix this type of thing? Or should I start planning on a big bill to repair?

How many years has this company been closing your pool?

Have you notified the company of the problems?

Yeah, they don’t specifically call out anything or any limitations. I’ve looked on their web site and there is very limited info.

Sorry, yes they blow out the lines. We’re in New Jersey. $650

• Lower Water Level to below Returns
  • Blow-Out All Pool Plumbing Lines
  • All Equipment Drained and Freeze Plugs removed
  • Install homeowners winterizing plugs and gizmos
  • Hose off filter cartridges/grids
  • Install Safety Cover
  • Add winterizing chemical kit”

They’ve closed the pool since it was built in 2016. I’m calling them in the morning. I literally just found out today.

but not sure if there is an “industry standard”
Welp. The industry standard, pretty much in any industry these days, is to dodge responsibility. Here is to hoping they do right by you. :)

On the plus side, if you're stuck fixing it yourself, you have a nice head start knowing where the breaks are. Would you say it's under the deck, or next to it and more easily accessible?

Reactions: Scout101

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I THINK the pipes dont run under the patio at that point. I’ll have to go thru my build pictures to see how much digging someone is in for

Reactions: Newdude
Most likely, they state somewhere that having them professionally close your pool will prevent damage due to freezing.

In NJ, it is common procedure to blow out the lines to prevent freeze damage.

If it was done correctly, the damage would not happen.

Was there a contract?

When I set out to get someone to close ours, they immediately sent something to sign that said they were not liable for freeze damage. I was miffed. What's the point of hiring a pro? We decided just to keep it open all winter (a reasonable option in NC).

So they came out on Friday and dug around trying to find the pipe. The guy that came out was a “triage” guy He said they’d have to send the plumbers out anyway as he didn’t have the 3” pipe even if he found it. I had my paver guy come out as they thought it was under the pavers as the pool guy said their plumbers would just dig everything up and make a mess. I figured at least they could lift the pavers and the paver base to reuse. Well a couple feet deeper and they found the pipes and the leak. The fitting was cracked completely in 1/2. Not sure if this looks like a frozen pipe or not. I didn’t hear from the pool company today so will call them tomorrow.

Attachments

• 46FCCA37-9CF7-430F-9426-D89FA8306006.jpeg
    46FCCA37-9CF7-430F-9426-D89FA8306006.jpeg
    529.4 KB · Views: 49
That does not look like freeze damage.

Freeze damage is usually longitudinal in presentation.

It looks more like the pipe was stressed due to being forced into an alignment to match the trench instead of redigging the trench or doing a heat bend.

Can you rinse the pipe off so that we can get a better look?

It's hard to tell but the pipes look like they do not line up correctly for the angle.

I suspect that the line was forced into the trench and it eventually cracked from the stress.

The pipe becomes more brittle in the cold, so it would be more likely to crack in the cold.

Is the fitting a 45 or a 22.5 degree fitting?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.