Closing a soft sided steel rod pool (similar to an Intex)

Motorxmom

Jul 22, 2021
Morgantown, West Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello! I am a new pool owner and I was wondering if someone could explain to me the proper steps on Winterizing a soft sided steel rod pool that is similar to an Intex pool? From everything I’ve read it’s best to keep them up instead of taking them down each year plus cost effective as well. I live in WVU and we get some freezing temperatures as well as snow and ice throughout the winter. I need directions from start to finish as well as what kind of cover and size is best to use on a soft sided steel rod pool? My pool is 20’ x 48” round. Thanks in advance for any help/tips you can throw my way. I still have a month or so but want to start understanding the process and ordering the proper products I will need.

Reactions: Oldmantan
Totally missed the alert for me being tagged back in July. We just had a discussion today, which is linked above. There is also an article in pool school that covers things pretty well. If you have other questions feel free to ask.

I still have a month or so but want to start understanding the process and ordering the proper products I will need.
A month or so from July? Don’t be in a huge hurry to close. Let the water cool off before closing. 60 is generally considered minimum temp to close, many think 50 is a better target. Better to do a bit more maintenance and look at a clear pool you can’t swim in for a while than deal with a green pool the next spring IMO.

For an above ground pool the only equipment you will need to close is a cover, should you decide to use one, along with some floats for the cover. I haven’t used one so I can’t comment on that. Some people also use Polyquat 60 algeacide at closing time. I plan on using that this year, last year without a cover my water started going green as soon as the ice thawed in the spring. This wasn’t a big deal, I just opened the pool right away and a gallon of chlorine later the pool was clear and blue again. I just had to look at a clear blue pool for two months before it got warm enough to swim.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.