Close late they said. It'll be fun they said...

I feel your pain. We just closed this past weekend (Bethlehem, PA).

The pool people were supposed to be here last Monday, but i called the pool place at 3pm when no one showed up and they said the workers were behind and had to reschedule for Wednesday. I called Wednesday at 3pm when no one showed, and they said they were running late and it would be later in the week. I told them to just cancel it since it seems too much for them. In the meantime we got tons of leaves in the pool due to rain/wind, most sinking to the bottom.

Spent Friday afternoon blowing out and plugging lines and cleaning out tons of leaves with a net (robot basket would fill up within 20 minutes). Finished up with leaves Saturday morning between robot and net, and my mom and dad came over to help my wife and me with the cover. Or pool is 20x50, so the mesh cover is heavy, but we were able to get it on pretty easily (heavy when trying to move it from the garage to the pool, but not so bad when it’s opened up and being put on the pool). Sunday was rainy/windy so glad we got it on!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi neighbor!

We are closing ourselves this weekend, with the help of a PB worker who just happened to graduate with my husband. My husband has been complaining about closing so late this whole time, and he is going to be wound up when he gets home and see all the leaves :laughblue:I'm virtual now for work, so I'll be out every half hour emptying Fred (the robot).

My solar cover saved me some work. I brush as many leaves as I can then remove the cover and
the finish cleaning the bottom. Water temps are just below 50. I will probably close this weekend
myself.

-Bigpaws

I close the 3rd week in October which I have found to be before the leaves drop. It is not worth the cleanup hassle to let the pool be open for another few weeks. My water was right at 60F at closing on the 19th.

Early Nov in PA with a wind advisory
Wow...Walnutport, huh? I used to live on Welshtown Road in Slatington, and graduated from Slatington High School (when it WAS still called that - way before Northern Lehigh). Not sure how familiar you are with Slatington, but my parents' house was right across from the Skeet Club entrance - stone home with circular driveway - was built back in the 50s by Mike Papay. We made many a trip for lunch to Valley Pizza..guess that's not in business anymore? Before that came along there used to be place called The Terrace. Guess that's no longer going either.

Been there and done that with the wind, many times. Mostly towards end of season with leaves coming down but sometimes in summer too. I can recall times where I could barely see the bottom of the pool for the leaves. No robot here either - hours of netting by hand and then vacuum! Glad I'm all buttoned up before this one came along.

I feel your pain as well.

I normally close in early October just before the leaves really start to drop. It was a bit milder this October, so my spouse talked me into delaying closing.

I closed yesterday, but not before 2 storms blew in 5 bazillion leaves and tons of debris into the pool each time. The wall connector on the Polaris broke, so I had to clean up manually! And it was so much fun removing eyeball returns and installing duck plugs in near 50° water. 🥶

Next year there will be no delay in closing! 😉

I closed a couple weekends back with temps around 40, drizzle and windy.

Tomorrow is going to be 70 and Sunny. Go figure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Of course, we closed this past Saturday when the temp's were 72 (and then 76 on Sunday!) Crazy weather for these parts of the country. The yard looks so strange now with it covered!

I closed on Sunday. The 76 degree day. The water temp was 48. My arm after
being submerged changing the returns warmed up easier. Last year same water
temperature but cold outside took a while to recover.

-Bigpaws

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.