Auburn, AL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
TLDR; rinse zeolite media in a net/sock until clean before placing into a filter.

So it’s been a few weeks since my father in law opened his pool and a new Intex SWG/Sand Filter was installed. At the time no one local had pool sand, so Clorox Pool Filter Sand Plus was used from Lowes.

He did backwash and rinse, but the pool immediately turned hazy. He was using test strips and threw shock with stabilizer and other stuff at it based off app recommendations, to no avail.

About 3-4 days into this, before Memorial Day weekend, I came over for the first time and from what the strips showed FC/TC were high(10+), pH was high (8.0) and CYA was crazy. It wasn’t like algae it was just murky and cloudy. Also, if pumped was stopped and started it threw out dirty water for a few seconds. At that time, I was not familiar with TFP/BBB or really any pool maintenance, so I lowered the pH with some pH down and added a couple ounces of Clorox clarifier. Next morning it was clear with fine sediment on the bottom. We vacuumed to filter and backwashed.

Results at this point…
240FBF05-3DF0-4898-97C9-61FFA5C65F3E.jpegB2B4167B-1F4F-4C2B-A4F3-D95CA8B19E67.jpeg

Fast forward, I now have read many articles here, every important pool school, and acquired K-2006C.

I can now say I’ve got the CYA down to 100 (will let drop over over time with backwashing and filling), FC in range (high end but dropping slow) and CC usually at 0.0 or 0.2. All other numbers are ideal. We still have fine particles on the floor every day… even after vacuuming to waste and extensive backwashing and rinsing.

Today, I decide to check this filter media, so I remove it and start rinsing in a big tub and it gives off a fine dust in the water. After many cycles of washing and draining the water is nearly clear. So I scoop it up bit by bit in a pool net, rinsing throughly before placing in the filter.

I needed to use some new material to make up for some loss and this is when I realize just how dirty this stuff is and what the original clarity issue was. So every 3-4 cups required rinsing in a net with 20+ gallons of water to get it to run clear. This stuff is loaded with fine particulate that will not be caught by laterals and even works its way through the media back into the pool.

Lesson here, take about a cup of any new filter media and rinse in a pool net, skimmer sock, cheese cloth, something with holes similar to your laterals over a bucket before committing to use and placing in the tank. The stuff that comes out will tell you if you need to rinse heavily before use or if backwash only will work.

Will update if the floor remains clear and problem is resolved or if I’m still searching for the root cause of the particles on the floor. Also, if it was my personal pool, I probably would have just replaced the media with HTH sand from Ace.

Last edited:
Hey! Welcome to TFP!!

We don’t recommend zeolite for exactly this reason. Too many people have problems for us to recommend it to be “trouble free”

That being said there are a few of us that use it and are aware that the plants that make this each have different sizes they generally make. Zeo like sand lasts forever if you don’t add floc and clarifiers. For those of us that do use it, we know to backwash/rinse several times for extended periods to eliminate these fine particles. I’m sorry you had the problems you did.

Oh, and by the way, zeo does a nice job. You also want to run your pump slow with zeo. Does way better at 1200-1400 rpm. Your signature doesn’t indicate if you have a Variable speed pump.

So this is what collects on the bottom overnight. @PoolStored, any help identifying if this is just natural debris, something from zeolite, or algae related? All photos of the bottom, walls are clean.

The pool is located under heavy tree canopy in east central Alabama.

PoolMath logs are detailed and attached to profile.

If algae related, will perform OCLT and possibly SLAM based on results.

Attachments

• 92D5EA50-4A12-4DA6-8D30-E9DDE3B5785D.jpeg
    92D5EA50-4A12-4DA6-8D30-E9DDE3B5785D.jpeg
    502.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 5F3921DE-1AC9-4C69-8153-D7BFDA6A6EBB.jpeg
    5F3921DE-1AC9-4C69-8153-D7BFDA6A6EBB.jpeg
    481.2 KB · Views: 11
  • C3A3109F-D417-4C10-8A15-B458A8BEC8F6.jpeg
    C3A3109F-D417-4C10-8A15-B458A8BEC8F6.jpeg
    347.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 8A4D4A3C-90EB-4B6E-9796-AB20F45A5CBA.jpeg
    8A4D4A3C-90EB-4B6E-9796-AB20F45A5CBA.jpeg
    358.6 KB · Views: 11
It's a liitle bit darker than usual but I suspect it's dead algae that settle each evening. When you brush it does it "poof" away or settle immediately back to the pool floor? Can you post a set of test results that will help us?

Last edited:
Really hard to tell, but given the color (dark), I would guess residual Zeo. Again, we don't recommend Zeo for this exact reason, LOTS of people have had the same problem. Not very troublefree.

One, I would recommend that you revert to sand and eliminate the problem.

Two, if you decide to keep the Zeo, Zeo often needs a good ten minutes to half an hour of backwashing when it is new to avoid this exact problem. There are situations where even that doesn't take care of it. Occasionally you get a bad batch of zeo, which is softer than usual, and it is constantly getting crushed and thus continues to put dust into the pool until it is replaced. I know you rinsed by hand, but a long backwash may help, or it won't Try 10 minute backwash 3 minute rinse, 10 minute backwash 3 minute rinse. That will give you 20 minutes of total backwash. Yes, you may need to replace some water in the pool.

I assume you have a vacuum? If so, slooooooowly push all of the detritus to one area of the pool. Slowly push, let it settle, push until you get the majority in one area. Then vacuum to waste if you have the capability.

If you want to eliminate algae as the cause, perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

Sorry you are dealing with this.

Last edited:
@duraleigh, the darker dense areas have a little poof and the majority settles back down. The light areas poof and go away.

I just performed a vacuum to waste as my CYA is still a little high so more water won’t hurt. I slowly approached each clumped area to get it to suck into the vacuum and not stir it up. None required brushing to remove.

I’ll perform an OCLT test and give results as well as results from a test today after refill is done and time to circulate.

@PoolStored, thanks for the advise. I like the idea of zeo but if continued issues after a passed OCLT, I will definitely try and talk father in law (pool owner) into switching to normal sand, or just do it…

The trouble we are having is acceptable vs a swamp. At least it’s clear water and useable, even if a little extra care is required.

The trouble we are having is acceptable vs a swamp. At least it’s clear water and useable, even if a little extra care is required.
I understand. Whether you use sand or zeo is not the cause of the swamp. LOL. It is the water chemistry. Said another way, sand is not the cause of a swamp, it is maintaining your pool chemistry.

Look forward to your results!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
FC 10
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 70
CH 225
CYA 90

Had some more settle while filling, scooped some with net. Fees like pollen pods. Has some grit to it but when squeezed becomes mush. Sorry didn’t get pictures of that.

YOur numbers look pretty good. I think poolstored is right - leftover zeo. The solution is to keep vacuuming, run the pump 24/7 and keep brushing that stuff up into the pool water so the filter can catch it.

Well after using the net to retrieve some clumps. Looks like pollen, possibly from a sweet gum. Likely a combination problem early on with dust from zeo and the pollen. Now looks like just the pollen / tree debris.

Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• A247CCE8-51E1-4D32-BEE0-50FF647B5411.jpeg
    A247CCE8-51E1-4D32-BEE0-50FF647B5411.jpeg
    681.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 5BF69894-8DA0-4A9F-8381-E73904401947.jpeg
    5BF69894-8DA0-4A9F-8381-E73904401947.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • Wow
Reactions: PoolStored
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.