Clorox Changed Percentage of Bleach... Again!

Underwater Man

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 15, 2007
Fort Worth, Texas
I've been using bleach successfully since renovating our pool 10 years ago. I've been buying it at Sam Club, 3 bottles in a convenient to carry and store box. Initially the 1 1/2 gallon bottles were 6% sodium hypochlorite, then one day they had changed to smaller bottles, 2.83 gallons, but had increased the percentage to 8.25 % with a notice on the box of the change, and telling folks that the smaller bottles with their higher percentage was equal in strength to the 1.5 gallon bottles. Easier to carry and ship in higher concentration... so good, math remained the same as 1.5 gallons of 6%. Lately I started having problems... where was my chlorine going??? So, yesterday I picked up 3 boxes and noticed that they had added to the box, "NEW! with CloroMax Technology." I needed to know what that was, so, after reading the label, I find they had changed back to 6%, with 5.75% available chlorine. No notice of the change, so, by me not checking the box, I've been adding inadequate amounts chlorine. Quite frustrating... they slipped it right past us, now paying more for less. The price of the three box carton has risen incrementally from just above 8 dollars a few years ago, to more than 9 dollars. Just wanted to mention in case there was someone else like me out there; and a slam to Clorox for such a sneaky little move.

I've been using bleach successfully since renovating our pool 10 years ago. I've been buying it at Sam Club, 3 bottles in a convenient to carry and store box. Initially the 1 1/2 gallon bottles were 6% sodium hypochlorite, then one day they had changed to smaller bottles, 2.83 gallons, but had increased the percentage to 8.25 % with a notice on the box of the change, and telling folks that the smaller bottles with their higher percentage was equal in strength to the 1.5 gallon bottles. Easier to carry and ship in higher concentration... so good, math remained the same as 1.5 gallons of 6%. Lately I started having problems... where was my chlorine going??? So, yesterday I picked up 3 boxes and noticed that they had added to the box, "NEW! with CloroMax Technology." I needed to know what that was, so, after reading the label, I find they had changed back to 6%, with 5.75% available chlorine. No notice of the change, so, by me not checking the box, I've been adding inadequate amounts chlorine. Quite frustrating... they slipped it right past us, now paying more for less. The price of the three box carton has risen incrementally from just above 8 dollars a few years ago, to more than 9 dollars. Just wanted to mention in case there was someone else like me out there; and a slam to Clorox for such a sneaky little move.
Avoid the 'Cloromax' bleach, it has added polymers that you don't want in your pool.

https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/149709-Clorox

Thanks all for your comments, much appreciated! Will not be using Clorox anything. Clorox specifically states that Performance bleach has 8.25%, Regular Bleach 6%. The box with Cloromax continues to show bottles on the carton that says Performance Bleach as well as on the bottles themselves. My fault for not catching it sooner, but feel Clorox did something quite unethical and deceptive.

Thanks all for your comments, much appreciated! Will not be using Clorox anything. Clorox specifically states that Performance bleach has 8.25%, Regular Bleach 6%. The box with Cloromax continues to show bottles on the carton that says Performance Bleach as well as on the bottles themselves. My fault for not catching it sooner, but feel Clorox did something quite unethical and deceptive.

I quite agree with you! Not good at all! Bad Clorox, BAD!

I know this post is from September, but I wanted to add that the Great Value bleach is now also only 6%. I noticed last week that the label looked updated (dark blue instead of light, like the one pictured above), so I checked the percentages, and sure enough...6%.

Thankfully they've re-stocked the liquid chlorine (10%) in the pool isle with bottles that aren't from June 2017.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.