Clear Water - How I Ballance my Chemistry

Agua

Aug 17, 2018
Taylor Mill, KY
I have an in ground 22,000 gal vinyl pool. I run my pump 24/7 and use the Pool Pal app on my phone.
If you try and maintain a very low chlorine level (3 or less) as is suggested you will have algae problems.
I measure my chlorine every night and add enough 10% chlorine to bring the level to 8ppm. I find that over the next 24 hours the level of chlorine drops between 2 and 4 ppm.
I am adding between 50 and 120 Ounces of chlorine each night. My Cyanuric acid level is very low since I do not use TriChlor Pucks. With this program I do not have to shock the pool
and it stays crystal clear. The Ph does tend to rise and every 2 weeks I add some acid according to pool math.

I test with Taylor K-2006 Kit. Water Temp 85, FC 5-8, PH 7.8, Ta 80, Ch 100, Cya 10

Last edited:
Also note that 2-4ppm loss is pretty typical, but if your CYA is low, you might need to add some and that would help with daytime losses. But we need to know your levels to help. :)

Excellent. I just noticed you put them into your original post. :)

Your CYA is low and I would recommend bumping it up a bit. You can put 20ppm worth in now. It's hard to know what it is if it's below 30 with that kit, but even if you have 20 already, 40 isn't too bad to be at. That would help with your daily FC losses. Other than that your numbers look good for a vinyl pool - if it's plaster then you might need to add some calcium.

Also, if you can put the details on your pool into your signature here: https://www.troublefreepool.com/account/signature It will help us as we give different recommendations for different sizes of pools

How are you testing 10 ppm CYA when the Taylor K-2006 only tests down to 30 ppm?

Everyone can and should manage their pools the way that suits them best but 10 ppm CYA wastes a LARGE amount of chlorine

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.