SE FL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Edge-40
AB8A78D0-2AD8-4462-AD1D-A667D77C6B62.jpegPool water crystal clear for a long time, chemistry dialed in. Got lazy checking levels about a month ago (just adding chlorine daily, mostly). I started getting these green clumps settling at the bottom in the middle. They disappear in a puff with any water movement near them. I thought maybe algae in pump system, did a SLAM but didn’t monitor FC loss, just kept adding chlorine in the mornings, no change. Cleaned the screen enclosure, no change. Thought maybe pollen but it’s not lying around anywhere else.

The pump turns on around 2-7PM and it’s when I get home from work in the afternoon that I find the clumps. I’m thinking maybe it’s in the pipes. I have been adding a puck in the skimmer this week to bump up CYA. Tonight I added 2 gallons chlorine, leaving pump on, adding another gallon in the morning, will test upon returning from work and clean cartridge filter, add CYA if needed, properly. Then do overnight FC test.

Another note, the drain/return at the bottom of the pool is capped off, is it possible algae could build up in there and release when the pump comes on? The valve to it (says main drain) is shut), I was thinking of uncapping and testing for leaks (been this way since I bought it). Sorry for the long post!!

5 days ago, Taylor 2006
FC 8.0
CC 0
PH 7.6
TA 70
CH 410
CYA close to 30 but not quite.
13k in ground gunite, screened, SE FL

Looks like a SLAM Process WOuld take care of this.. It may be main drain has something growing in it.. Is it just closed or is it capped off?
It’s capped in the pool and the valve for it is off by the pump, I’m thinking maybe the valve isn’t sealing perfectly and that pipe full of algae? Gonna try to uncap it later and leave it that way if it doesn’t leak.

If it is capped I would leave it capped.. who knows what it in it...

I would do a SLAM and go from there :)
I figured it was probably capped off due to a leak or maybe to increase skimmer suction but I find that my skimmer has too much suction and sometimes the basket inside gets jammed. Yesterday when I looked inside the pump I saw the gate valve wobbling a tiny amount which makes me think it’s probably leaking slightly.
Do you have a light with a niche behind it? If so, I'd pull the light (power off) and check in there for sure. Also, never place tabs in the skimmer. Use a floater instead.
no light, and Roger that I rarely use them but I wanted to add a little weight to my skimmer basket since it tends to pop out when the pump turns off ( it’s the in-pool type).

Just to update,I left the ball valve to main drain open but still capped in the pool & slammed. Few more clumps came out but grey in color this time. There were no more yesterday so I think problem solved. Will do overnight FC check tonight to be sure.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.